"Zapped" bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dpbottleman

Reaction score
I was talking about the clear Dr Pepper bottles, some folks turning them amber or honey amber and selling on Ebay, not the purple colored bottles. Dr Pepper never had any amber or honeyamber bottles. A regular "DEBOSSED" Dr Pepper bottle might sell for $3.00 to $10.00, and these folks are putting them on for $200 to $350.00, and to me that is not right in my opinion, thanx.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Srata,
To answer your question on wavelength,UV has the longest wavelength in the Light spectrum, InfaRed the shortest.If you ever scuba dive you'll find you can't see the colour Red after about 30 feet as the water absorbs that colour light radiation the fastest.Purple, on the other hand, is the last colour you can see before you're in total darkness,assuming you had the means to safely get to that depth![:D](About 700ft in Bermuda waters.[;)])
As far as 'zapped' bottles go,I don't see any problem with them as long as they have not been done with intent to deceive![:mad:]As a few members have already noted,there really isn't much difference except in time and intensity.

KAT

Diggrrr!

Reaction score
Hi bigkitty53,

I don't know if anyone ever corrected you on this, but you've got it backwards. UV is high-frequency short-wavelength radiation. IR is low-frequency long-wavelength radiation.

diggrrr!

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: dpbottleman

About 10-12 months ago, someone from the Georgia/Alabama area was zapping th 30-40's clear Dr Pepper bottles, and turning them amber and selling them for a couple of hundres of dollars, this was a ripoff. Dr Pepper never had amber bottles of any kind.

Yeah, you're right. But somebody needs to tell this scumbag that:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7207022890

bottleboy311

Reaction score
If we email him he will ignore us. I have an idea, on this guys listing, he is selling it for $450.00 or best offer. The key here is best offer. Lets get as many people as we can(ebay members) to go to his listing and make him a reasonable offer on the bottle. That bottle after being nuked is maybe worth $10.00 at the max. So let's all offer him say offer him $5.00 for it. When you place the offer be sure to tell him you feel the bottle has be altered. This can be done by clicking on the additional terms section when making your offer. It is completely legal and within ebay policy because he has placed a best offer on his listing. Only thing keep you need to keep in mind is if he accepts your offer you will need to buy it. But for $5.00 and another $6.00 to ship. I will gladly pay $11.00 to get that altered piece of junk off the market. If he gets enough low offers, maybe he will take the bottle off the market. Besides he will have to spend his time dealing with a bunch of $5.00 offers.

Lee

Here is the link to his listing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7207022890

P.S. I just offered him $4.50 for it.

amblypygi

Reaction score
Heh, good idea, but trust me it won't work. I've been fighting with this clown for years about his irradiated crap bottles, I'll bet he flakes his own "genuine" arrowheads as well. I'm the reason he hides his bidders' IDs; I saved many of them from being ripped off before he started hiding who they were.

I despise people like this. Bottle collectors are 99% great people in my experience, but there's always a few jerks like this guy in any bunch.

I've initiated another complaint with ebay over jstar2, but if it goes the way it has in the past, they won't do anything. I understand actually, they have enough other, more clever fraud to deal with to worry about altered color bottles. I think they justifiably feel that "caveate emptor" covers this case: the alteration is plain to see and anyone with experience wouldn't bid on his junk. He just preys on the inexperienced newbies, which is a shame because after they find that they paid $450 for a worthless piece of junk they will definitely be soured on bottle collecting.

The fact that he's a power seller really irks me though: it flies right in the face of the "integrity" they claim the power seller program fosters.

Anyway, grrrr [:mad:]

[:)] Sean

amblypygi

Reaction score
Here's another approach. Follow these instructions:

http://www.nvrha.com/webbsdataef1/complaint.htm

To send ebay something along the lines of what I sent them:

Sean said to Ebay:

The bottle in this auction has been irradiated by the seller jstar2 to artificially change the color. The bottle is not worth 1/100th of his asking price, and the auction is patently fraudulent. He does this with many of his bottles, and hides his bidders IDs so that more scrupulous ebayers are unable to warn them that they are being robbed. If this is the kind of seller that the power seller program is meant to support, then the part about "integrity" should be removed from the description of the power seller program, because it is a lie while jstar2 is selling. Power sellers should not be allowed to hide bidder IDs as general practice, but only on specific auctions where there is a good reason. thanks.

If Y'all want to help, pick another of clown-boy's irradiated ripoff auctions and send a similar complaint. then maybe by strength of numbers we can get somewhere.

Sean

texasdigger

Reaction score
These nuked bottles seem to keep coming up more and more on ebay. In my eyes if you state the process used to make the bottle change color, and don't ask for a huge amount over it's regular value. Then you would only be making money for your time and effort for the process of color changing. I would love to stop jstar. It is not just about hurting the hooby of bottle collecting. IT IS ABOUT THE FACT THAT I CANNOT STAND SCAMMERS OF ANY TYPE!!!
Tele-evangalists to bottle nukers they all suck to me!

Down with rip-off's,
Brad

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler