7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I realize that trying to make a connection between Annette Kellerman and the first 7up labels is pretty farfetched, but it can't be denied that she was highly influential in her day involving two major aspects, which were ...

1. Physical Fitness
2. Swimming & Diving

Which were two of 7ups early advertising themes as well!

[Attachments]

Annette Kellerman Books ~ Both from 1918

1. Physical Beauty ~ How to Keep It
2. How to Swim

(These books currently sell for $500+)

Annette Kellerman Beauty Book.jpg

Annette Kellerman Swim Book.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Additionally ...

1. I have to believe that Charles Grigg was well aware of Annette Kellerman's fame.

2. I have to believe that whoever designed the Slenderizing Lady was also aware of Annette Kellerman's fame and that some
of the people who saw it would wonder if it was reminiscent of Annette Kellerman.

3. Even though I believe these are strong possibilities, I cannot now and may never be able to prove it.

4. I do not know what inspired the white-curve-square-lip design on the 7up swimsuit ACL bottles, but believe it was
intentional and replicates something specific.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Lastly ... (Maybe for sure this time)

Here are the two 7up labels whose design origins still remain a mystery ...

1. Paper Label w/Slenderizing Lady

2. ACL Label w/Swimsuit Girl

7up Paper Label.jpg

7up ACL LABEL (2).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Surely you saw this coming ... :eek:

PART THREE

"In Search of"

This chapter should be short-lived because we are either going to find an actual example or we're not. I'm not even sure if it replicates an actual label or a fantasy item of some type. I know the 1931 date at the bottom is not actually on the so called label itself, but it does suggest the year its from. Look close and you will see where the byline starts with ...

An Anti-Acid Beverage

Now click back through this thread and notice the majority of the paper labels' byline starts with ...

The Added Citrate

I'm trying to determine if this is an actual label from 1931 or from some other time period, or just a fantasy item? The thing is, I cannot find a picture of an actual label that has the "An Anti-Acid Beverage" on it and wanted to see if anyone has one and/or can confirm and/or refute its authenticity? I've had this image in my files for so long I do not recall where I got it from or when. I titled it as a bottle hanger but I'm not even sure about that. Any and all help will be mucho appreciated. Thanks.

7up topper with 1931 (2).jpg

7up topper with 1931.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I realize this new mystery label has what appears to be French writing on it, but that could be for the Canadian market and doesn't necessarily tell us a whole lot about it.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I should have looked before I leaped, but I did say this will probably be a short-lived chapter. Someone is selling these "decals" on eBay but they don't explain their origin. They appear to be obvious fantasy items, but even with that said, I can't help but wonder if the 1931 example is a replica of an original?

Check'em out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-7up...863664?hash=item43c986cd70:g:snYAAOxyThVTbhne

7up Decals.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Oops, wrong picture. Here's the one from eBay ...

7up Decasls eBay 2016.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I cropped the 1931 decal from the others so as to get a better look at the wording. If it replicates an original label, I have never seen one like it.

7up Decasls eBay 2016.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Actually, this might be kind of interesting. Especially if the so called 1931 label is in fact a replica of an original. If original, then its possible we have never-ever seen the real deal before. Notice the Slenderizing Lady in the 1931 replica is wearing a swimsuit but the others aren't. You can also see the hairline on the 1931. I'm also wondering if the yellowish color might replicate to color of an original?

7up Slenderizing 1931 Decal.jpg

7up Slenderizing without text.jpg

7up Slenderizing with text.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hmm, not mention of it in Bill Lockhart's article. He only mentions four variations ...

7up Article Fizz (2-2) (2).jpg

7up Article Fizz (2-2).jpg

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR