7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
7up Pocket Mirror - 3 1/2" x 2 1/2"

7up Mirror Anti Acid Front.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
iggy / Rich

Thanks!

Did you notice we can edit now? :flag:

iggyworf

Reaction score
Yes I did. Myself along with others have been asking about that and it seems textev corrected it.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Foot Note:

I decided not to wait until April to upgrade my newspaper subscription and did it yesterday. I have only skimmed the surface so far but discovered that the Seven Up Company did not start their 'national' advertising campaign until around 1940. Most of the advertising prior to 1940 was left to the discretion of individual bottlers. And its true what I hinted at earlier that paper label bottles were used well into the early 1940s despite the fact that the ACL bottle was first introduced in 1935. Take for example this portion of an article where it says ...

new "applied label"

So far this is the first and only reference I have found that even hints at their new ACL bottle and I hope to eventually find other references like it. And if I do find anything specific, I will be sure to share it.

(This article is especially interesting because they actually use the term "applied" label)

Article from ...

The Mason City Globe-Gazette ~ Mason City, Iowa ~ October 1, 1940

7up 1940 The Mason City Globe Gazette Iowa Oct 1, 1940.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
"APPLIED LABEL"

You might recall my saying earlier that searching for specific information is all in how the search is worded. During the course of this thread I have used every word-search combination I could think of but it wasn't until this morning that I started using the words "Applied Label." Oh, I used words like 'bottle', 'label', etc., but for some reason I just never thought to use the word 'applied' along with them. As a result of this new word-search, I'm now finding ads like the previous one, as well as this one from ...

The Denton Record-Chronicle ~ Denton, Texas ~ April 1, 1938

By the way, if you are a 7up collector, and especially if you collect 7up bottles from Texas, you might want to save this ad because it is possibly the earliest ad I'm going to find regarding a specific reference to an early 7up ACL bottle. Notice the bottle pictured has the embossed neck and is an eight bubble bottle ...

7up 1938 Denton Record Chronicle Texas April 1, 1938 Headline.jpg

7up 1938 Denton Record Chronicle Texas April 1, 1938.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

I believe it was the Owens-Illinois Glass Company who first used the terms "Applied Color / Applied Color Lettering." And even though we generally think that the 'L' in 'ACL' stands for 'Label,' it started out standing for 'Lettering.' At least that's the way I interpret the meaning according to this 1930 Owens-Illinois catalog. By the way, even though this 1930 catalog refers to ACL bottles, no 1930 example has ever been found that I'm aware of. The earliest confirmed ACL bottle is a Jumbo Cola that was made by Owens-Illinois in 1934.

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 TWO PAGE ACL REFERENCE PP 2 and PP 3 (3).jpg

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 TWO PAGE ACL REFERENCE PP 2 and PP 3.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Regarding my newspaper subscription upgrade, prior to upgrading to their new "Publisher Extra" package yesterday, I only had about 100 million pages available. But I now have an additional 40 million extra pages to access. And it wasn't cheap either and I just hope it pays off in being able to find something specific involving the development of 7up's swimsuit girl ACL bottle.

GLASSHOPPER55

Reaction score
Regarding my newspaper subscription upgrade, prior to upgrading to their new "Publisher Extra" package yesterday, I only had about 100 million pages available. But I now have an additional 40 million extra pages to access. And it wasn't cheap either and I just hope it pays off in being able to find something specific involving the development of 7up's swimsuit girl ACL bottle.

Well if anyone can, you can. I've been following all your research for a long time on here and I cannot even begin to say how much your dedication and research has helped me and others.

Keep up the GREAT work, Bob!

GLASSHOPPER55

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26