7up BOTTLES ~ OUTSIDE THE BOX

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correction/Typo ...

Bill mentions five variations and not four!

Photon440

Reaction score
Surely you saw this coming ... :eek:

PART THREE

"In Search of"

This chapter should be short-lived because we are either going to find an actual example or we're not. I'm not even sure if it replicates an actual label or a fantasy item of some type. I know the 1931 date at the bottom is not actually on the so called label itself, but it does suggest the year its from. Look close and you will see where the byline starts with ...

An Anti-Acid Beverage

Now click back through this thread and notice the majority of the paper labels' byline starts with ...

The Added Citrate

I'm trying to determine if this is an actual label from 1931 or from some other time period, or just a fantasy item? The thing is, I cannot find a picture of an actual label that has the "An Anti-Acid Beverage" on it and wanted to see if anyone has one and/or can confirm and/or refute its authenticity? I've had this image in my files for so long I do not recall where I got it from or when. I titled it as a bottle hanger but I'm not even sure about that. Any and all help will be mucho appreciated. Thanks.

View attachment 168908

View attachment 168909

That bottle hanger was my scan Bob, I put it up here a few years ago. Along with the other years, they were a promotional item that went out with the cases of 7-uP somewhere around 1977 when I was working at the bottling plant. The reason for the French is because it was a Canadian distribution. As far as I can recall, these were supposed to be reproductions of originals, perhaps Canadian bottles had some variations.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Photon / Ed

Thanks for the info. The possibility of the decal being a reproduction of an actual label is good news. I just wish I could find one of the originals. If it was an actual label, I'm thinking it was used for an extremely short period of time, which might explain not being able to find one. Part of the wording I'm focusing on is where it says ...

Drink After Eating -
Before Retiring -
On Arising -

Notice on the label that the Slenderizing Lady is wearing a swimsuit with a single back-strap. And then compare it to this picture of Annette Kellerman wearing a similar swimsuit. I'm not sure of the exact date of the Annette Kellerman photo, but it was described as being from the 1920s.

7up Decasls eBay 2016 (3).jpg

Annette Kellerman Beach Ball (2).jpg

7up Decasls eBay 2016 (4).jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
WAAAY OUTSIDE THE BOX

A Daughter of the Gods

Annette Kellerman 1916 A Daughter Of the Gods (4).jpg

Annette Kellerman A Daughter of the Gods.jpg

Ad From The St. Louis Post-Dispatch ~ St. Louis, Missouri ~ February 24, 1920
Annette Kellerman St Louis Post Dispatch Feb 24, 1920.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch February 21, 1920

Annette Kellerman St Louis Post Dispatch Feb 21, 1920.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Charles Leiper Grigg ~ 1868-1940

1. This is the only picture I have ever seen of him prior to today.

2. This is a picture of him that I doubt few people have ever seen.

7up Charles Leiper Grigg (3).jpg

7up Charles Leiper Grigg 1868 1940.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This cardboard sign is possibly one of the first 7up advertising items ever made ...

7up Sign Cardboard Anti Acid.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen