ACL SODA BOTTLE "SILK-SCREEN" SEARCH

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
In response to some inquiries I made regarding acl soda bottle proofs and screens, I received a number of very helpful replies which included one's from Bill Lockhart - Bill Lindsey - and Chris Weides. All were extremely helpful but it was Chris Weides who really brought home the bacon with the following comments and amazing photos ... (One photo here and two to follow). I will let Chris' own words speak for themself ...

As far as the reference to Streator, it is more likely Thatcher Glass as that is where one of their large plants was located (the other larger one was Elmira NY). I have dozens, if not several hundred of the so-called proofs. These were used to test the stencil, show the customer the final version and archive the order. I will be including samples of these in future volumes of our book series on U.S. soda bottlers. A good many of my proofs are from Thatcher in Elmira and/or Streator. I have heard of the actual screens being sold on Ebay, etc. but I have never seen one. I'd love to have an example of an actual silk-screen in my collection, but I'm sure they were mostly destroyed. I've attached a sampling of the hundreds of proofs that I have. In addition to bottles, these are great pieces of history. And quite frankly, I have proofs of at least 2 dozen bottles that no known specimen has ever been found. So these serve as proof of brands that have never been seen before.[/align] [/align]Thanks to Chris Weide's generous contribution I and others know now what those proofs look like, and how they were used and intended. Hopefully someday a silk-screen will turn up, but, as Chris (and fishnuts earlier) indicated, most were likely destroyed. But I for one will be keeping my eyes peeled for the "proofs" as I'm sure they would make a most interesting soda related collectible. [:D][/align] [/align]Thanks again to all who have followed and contributed to this thread.[/align] [/align]SPBOB[/align] [/align]Dad's Proof ~ Compliments of Chris Weides [/align]

01AC5E168CCA47A78A6EF7C7F3EC1858.jpg

Attachments

• 01AC5E168CCA47A78A6EF7C7F3EC1858.jpg
    01AC5E168CCA47A78A6EF7C7F3EC1858.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 68

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Dr. Swetts Proof ~ Compliments of Chris Weides

AECA303DE7EE4D57BD88F4AEE1CCF568.jpg

Attachments

• AECA303DE7EE4D57BD88F4AEE1CCF568.jpg
    AECA303DE7EE4D57BD88F4AEE1CCF568.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 65

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Frostie Root Beer Proof ~ Compliments of Chris Weides

D918433704024205BDC2829725EB123E.jpg

Attachments

• D918433704024205BDC2829725EB123E.jpg
    D918433704024205BDC2829725EB123E.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 63

thesodafizz

Reaction score
Richard mailed me 10 of the card stock proofs that he had. I still have all of them but one (a Dr Pepper flavor that I sent to a buddy in Texas for his collection, Liquid Sunshine, if I remember correctly). Since then, I bid on, and won, a box full of them. So, I have probably about 500+ of them - lots of different brands, and different labels for the same brands too. They are all similar to the one illustrated here, the label in the correct colors, with the info on the side (mold number, size, location, etc.)

I never did learn anything additional about them after my original inquiry tho.

Oh well, gives us something to dig up now.

K

A note added: It seems from a quick look on the top of the stack of my proofs that mine came from Elmira location.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Kathy ~

Thank you so much for honoring us with your comments. I am certain that all Antique-Bottle.net members will be pleased to hear from you.

I suspect that by the time I post this it will dawn on you that the illustration you referred to did not appear. I also suspect that everyone would love to see it. And while you're at it, how about posting all 500+ of them? [:D] (Just kidding). You have already made our day just by hearing from you.

Take care.

We hope to hear from you again soon.

Thanks a million.

Bob Brown

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello Bob Brown. Well I just happened to click on your post today on the subject of SILK SCREEN information.
I worked at the Elmira Plant. I never got very involved with the silk screening process, what little time I spent around the process, I never really thought it would become such a neat thread of coverage for you ACL collectors. I guess, because I worked around it - I never thought about collecting the items or information about the process. I worked in some of the handling problems and had a very important and successful change in one of the factors for the process success of improving the spotter bar application in the mold equipment.

Now I will have to go back and reread the thread items and I will also contact a close friend in engineering that did a lot of work around the machines and handling of the glass. From there I may be of some help with explaining or finding answers for your questions. I may also get some silk screen panels from him - although he has been out of the plant about the same number of years I have been out of there. Another real reality is that a lot of the people that I worked with have already gone to the Happy Hunting Grounds.

The next question is: Do you know what the spotter bar is and how it functioned? I also wondered about the Richard Matthews I saw mentioned in the thread.

Best regards, RED Matthews

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Red ~

Thanks a million.

No, I don't fully understand the entire acl process. But I would be extremely interested in knowing anything and everything you can tell us about it. And photos of the actual screens used in the process would be a true case of "frosting on the cake." [:D]

Take your time ... this thread ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Thanks again,

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Red ~ P.S.

I'm not entirely sure who Richard Matthews is, other than I believe he is/was connected in some way to the Soda Fizz magazine. Kathy would know, and possibly even clarify it for us if she reads this.

SPBOB

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well Bob, I didn't see your answer about whether you know about the spotter bars on bottles. Again today this is an item taken from my glass making glossary of glass forming terminology: Spotter Bars and Locating Lugs: Were inserted[/b] in molds when special locaters were specified. Early burn off required these be made of bronze or special metals with a high nickel alloy that I sold for several years. These catching shaped little pins were inserted in the mold base above the bottom plate match. They were shaped to be caught by a metal catcher that stopped the rotation of the bottle in the right radial location to put a label in the label panel or to make the multi color ACL silk screened labels have each color transfer in the correct super imposed painted printing.
I am sure you have seen these little indentations in the glass near the bottom and you no doubt knew what they were for. They were very necessary for the success of applying the different colors of silk screened layouts on the glass before the painted bottles went through the lehr to bake on the paints. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide