Memorial Day Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stonebottle

Reaction score
PhilaBottles,

Great finds. Do the blue banded stoneware bottles also have blue debossed stamps? What is the condition? Do you plan on trading or selling them? I know that C. Whittemore is listed as about 1852 so that should indicate the age of what you found with it. Also-take a look at the post I put in "What is it-before 1900" and see if you have seen that pontiled C. Sines Philadelphia Hoarhound bottle. Keep up the good work. stonebottle

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
Paul -- i bet there are woodliners loaded with goodies.

Doug -- thanks for the kind words.

Bram -- it was a blast! Thanks!

Stonebottle -- the last two listed are the blue banded ones. They are not for sale. Is that C. Whittemore listed? and if so where? This one does'nt say 'Mead'. Your Sines is pretty, but a common find amongst Philly diggers.

Matt

stonebottle

Reaction score
PhilaBottles,
C. Whittemore is listed in the book "American Stoneware Bottles" by David Graci. It lists him as Charles Whittemore of NY City in business from 1850 to 1851. There are other bottles marked "G.S.Twitchell/Successor To/C. Whittemore" that date a few years later like 1855 to 1859 in Philadelphia. Thanks for the info on the C Sines bottle. stonebottle

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
(George S.) Twitchell is a common name in Philadelphia. There are 3 variations of the stoneware G.S.Twitchell/Successor To/C. Whittemore bottles that I know of.

Do you have a value or rarity on the blue decorated bottles?

Matt

stonebottle

Reaction score
PhilaBottles,

Johnston & Co Mead is listed as 1857 from Philadelphia. The books do not list value or rarity. Bottles with blue decoration usually go for more than those with no blue. Dates or blue tops go even higher. A good guess would be maybe 80 to 100 dollars with no damage. If you get around to it post a picture on this forum. Hope this helps. stonebottle

Digger George

Reaction score
Yes I will get some pics of the finds but in the mean time check out my purple people eater froggy pet.
Purplefrog_big.jpg

stonebottle

Reaction score
That frog is awesome and looks like he could eat anything that gets in his way. That must be a privy frog.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR