Old decoratively embossed "Madera Winery" bottle found!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Found this beautiful "Oldish" wine bottle. I know it was a wine bottle from a "Madera Bonded Winery." My question is, of course, what year would it have been made? My guess is somewhere between 1940 and 1965? just a guess. Can anyone educate me on determining wine bottles year of manufacture?

Attachments

• Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Bottom View.jpg
    Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Bottom View.jpg
    797.9 KB · Views: 280
  • Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Front view.jpg
    Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Front view.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 181
  • Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Front view2.jpg
    Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Front view2.jpg
    355.4 KB · Views: 204
  • Madera Winery Wine Bottle_lower front half view.jpg
    Madera Winery Wine Bottle_lower front half view.jpg
    588.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Whole bottle view.jpg
    Madera Winery Wine Bottle_Whole bottle view.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 222

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I can't make out a date code on that one, but your guess sounds about right age-wise for that bottle.

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Thanks! At least I know I'm in the ballpark. I don't think it's terribly valuable, but it's a very beautiful addition to my begining collection!

Timelypicken

Reaction score
I have a couple decorative wines somewhere. They probably aren't worth more than a couple bucks, but they are cool lookin.

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Yeah. They don't make them like this anymore...like all things. Today its just a plain old bottle with a paper label that is just garbage, not made to last.

EdsFinds

Reaction score
Hey, post some pics of the ones you have. I'd like to see other examples!

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Here are 3 wines

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165

EdsFinds

Reaction score
hey! they are nice examples! The one clear straight tall bottle looks just like mine. I pass allot of (and I mean allot) of plain old "flask" type whiskey or wine bottles in this one site, but I feel they are too modern and have no value. They have no markings on them and look to be from the 70s or 80s. Maybe I will grab one to ask you or others for your opinion. I'm sure though, that I will find more valuable and older ones at this new site! Thanks again!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Ed

I did some research on your bottle, and even though you didn't mention the Medera Bonded Wine Co. that was located in Baltimore, Maryland - which was founded in 1914 - it appears to be one of their bottles. Part of my research included looking for that particular bottle with the embossed grape design, and the latest example I could find for it was from 1941. There are hundreds of ads for them, and it appears they stopped using that particular bottle sometime in the 1940s. Another thing I noticed on your bottle is what appears to be an S-in-a-circle on the base. The mark is most likely one of the following. Even though we may never know which of these glass makers produced your bottle, the latest of the four seems to have been used no later than circa 1959 - which can be narrowed down a little more due to the Medera Bonded Wine Co. being established in 1914 - with Sterling and Sneath being the most likely candidate. This link is to an article about Sterling and Sneath ...

https://sha.org/bottle/pdffiles/SterlingSneathGlass.pdf

Makers Marks Circle S.jpg

Although there are hundreds of ads for Medera, not all of them include illustrations of their bottles, so this is somewhat inconclusive. However, like I said, this is the latest ad I could find that depicted an illustration of their bottle with the embossed grapes. I'm also attaching a file about their 25th Anniversary from 1939.

Madera Wine Since 1914_The_Baltimore_Sun_Maryland_Wed__Apr_9__1941.jpg

Attachments

• Madera Bonded Wine Co_The_Evening_Sun_Wed__Nov_29__1939_.pdf
    680.6 KB · Views: 152

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers