Old Gin bottle in near mint condition found at Goodwill Austin

Found this beauty at a goodwill in Austin Tx the other day. Nice little pig nose for next to nothing. Don't think it has ever been buried.

Guesses as to its age?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pig nose 5.jpg   IMG_9330.jpg   pig nose gin 3.jpg  

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Nice score! I'd guess around 1800, but hopefully others more knowledgeable than I will chime in. I've never found squat at Goodwill, but I'll keep on trying.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    looks germen . and may have been made up in to the 1820s. when full Hight post moulids were being interduce.

I've never found anything even close to that nice at Goodwill. That's a great bottle!

Thanks! yeah I'm always in Salvation Army, Goodwill and many other thrifts and get lucky quite frequently. I am fortunate that my job takes me to these stores in a variety of cities around the country. Crazy that it survived this long in that condition and made it on to the shelves intact.

Interesting! thanks for the input.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    This is an unusual case bottle. The shoulders are inflated, rounded, unlike the square-shouldered German bottles (see the grass-green bottle below). The corners are rounded, not sharp like early German bottles. The lip looks too skimpy, too perfect, to be an early 1800s case bottle or even a later transitional "pig-snout" lip finish. The pontil scar looks too neat.

I have a double-handful of case bottles, dating from Late 1700s to Late 1800s, but I've never seen one quite like this one. I don't know where this bottle was made, but it is not from the usual Western European glassworks.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case_gin_pontil_A.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	189509 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case_gin_pontil_C.jpg 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	189511 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caseginspair.jpg 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	189512 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caseginLip4.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	189513
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails case_gin_pontil_B.jpg  

I was thinking this was a really strange one as well. I've never seen one or a picture of one like it either. Not really sure what to make of it.

It's a very nice bottle, but I'm leaning toward a Czech repop.