100's of broken bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MaxGlass

Reaction score
Hello,

Being a Newbie member I'm not sure where to ask this question. I found a site a few days ago and have been digging for old bottles. There are hundreds (no exaggeration) of broken bottles. All seem to be from the middle to late 1800’s. Lots of bitters bottles. Maybe there was an apothecary on this site?

2 questions I have;

Was it standard practice to break these types of bottles once they were empty? And what use (besides decoration for my gardens) are broken bottles? I have a number of them with the full sides unbroken with the name on them. Wonderful colors of Blues, Greens, Ambers, and wonderful light violet colored glass to name a few.

Thank You for any help in direction.
:) Max

Tony14

Reaction score
First off I would like to welcome you to the forum.
Next, you just have to be creative. I have seen many different things done, from making stained windows to wind chimes. Just think of something you would like to try and go for it.
Next it wasnt standard, as far as I'm aware of to break the bottles when there life was over. Most of them were broken when they were dumped or from the time they were underground. Sooner or later you are bound to find a full one. Good luck.

Road Dog

Reaction score
I think I read somewhere of some Companies instructing to do this with the Blob Sodas.Maybe someone else will know something.

MaxGlass

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I went out to the dig site for a while this afternoon and found 4 decent unbroken ones. I'm hoping to get out there again tomorrow. I like the idea of using the peices in a stained glass design.

Thanks Again, Max

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide