12" GEO. W. TORREY whiskey-odd finsih

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

druggistnut

Reaction score
I'll post a second closeup of the neck & finish in the second post.
Two questions- 1) is this a sheared and polished finish and 2) any ideas on a recent value?

This is as dug and not tumbled.

Thanks,
Bill

E609AB534A5049D19480210D33E0FEDD.jpg

Attachments

• E609AB534A5049D19480210D33E0FEDD.jpg
    E609AB534A5049D19480210D33E0FEDD.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 76

oaks6810

Reaction score
I could be wrong but.. Some how ladies leg pops in my head, when I look at the pic.. Also when I think of the term sheard. I could be wrong but the term sheard refers to when the bottle was made. As if the glass maker cut it and made the top when it was still hot.... Looks tolled to me...

cobaltbot

Reaction score
searching only brings up miniatures, straight finish sheared lip- re-fired, fire polished, and/or tooled. Like the effect the blinds have in the picture.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Like the effect the blinds have in the picture

Hey Steve,

Yeah, me too, very WAVY WAVY.

Nice digging, Bill!

Bill Lindsey would call it a bulge neck with a straight finish.

"15. STRAIGHT (Sheared or Blow Over) - Also called a straight finish, sheared mouth, sheared finish, flare finish, plain lip, and likely other names as this was a fairly commonly utilized finish. Although the IMACS used the terms sheared or blow over for this finish, the preferred term on this website for the finish described here is straight finish (explained below). Click http://anthro.utah.edu/_images/imac-s/472-bottlesneck.jpg to see the illustration (#15) in the IMACS.

The main characteristic of the one-part straight finish is that the finish is not really physically distinct from the neck, i.e., it is really somewhat of a "no-part" finish. The finish is simply the end of the straight extension of the neck which was typically re-fired, tooled, and smoothed for uniformity and better cork closure. The straight finish was formed as explained above for the globular flare finish (#13). The straight, cracked-off (#26), globular flare (#13), and flared (#14) finishes were often fire polished as indicated by the very smooth and shiny surface on the finish to the left. This finish is more accurately called a straight finish since it is defined by the neck-finish profile being continuous with no added finishing features (Jones & Sullivan 1989)." SHA Bottle Finishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Est. 1826.
G.W. Torrey is listed 1886 to 1910, then as Torrey's until 1914 (OASG). The company advertising cites an "established" date of 1826, but also also asserts that they are the oldest wine merchants in the US, having been around for over 150 years (1826 + 150 = 1976)!

The company used the brand names:
"Ashlawn Blended", "Ashlawn Pure Rye", "G. W. T., R. W. & B. Brand Irish", "G. W. T., R. W. & B. Scotch", "Jameson's Irish", "O. P. S. Blended", "Old Belfrey", "Old Belfry Club Rye", "Old Cabinet Blended", "Old Casco", "Old Maryland Rye", "Old Reserve Rye", "Old Suffolk Blended", "Ramsey's Islay Scotch", "Torrey's Mount Vernon Pure Blended", "Torrey's Mount Vernon Pure Whiskey", "Torrey's Old Bourbon", "Torrey's Old Mt. Vernon Rye", "Torrey's Old Rye", "Torrey's Very Old Extra Quality Scotch", "Torrey's Very Old Irish", "Torrey's White Wheat Brand", and "Ye Olden Times Bourbon."

Business name timeline:
Geo. W. Torrey & Co.

Address timeline:
24 S. Market" From Pre-Pro.

x1477.jpg

botlguy

Reaction score
The Old Timers, of which I am one, would definitely call this a "Bulge Neck" rather than a "Ladies Leg". Again as I understand it, a true "Ladies Leg" must have a straight neck both ABOVE and BELOW the bulge. AND, the neck should be as long, or almost as long, as the body of the bottle.

As for the finish, I have heard several terms used and I personally accept "Plain". "Sheared / Polished", "Straight", as long as it is clear what it is describing. I'm no expert, this is just my input.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Ladies leg bottles

DD0CC410D3E945AC860ED2D6183FA2BD.jpg

Attachments

• DD0CC410D3E945AC860ED2D6183FA2BD.jpg
    DD0CC410D3E945AC860ED2D6183FA2BD.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics