1st attempt bottle repair

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Well I finally decided that no one is gonna hand me the secret recipe to fix bottles so I decided to try to see what I can do on my own. The resin I'd like to get is a bit pricey so I think I did all right with what I had at hand. I'm not thrilled about the outcome but hey its my first attempt and maybe I can start to get some opinions on how to improve my work. Check out my pics and be as critical as you like. No sugar coating. I want true and honest opinions. Thanx for reading. Swiz
Bottlesandsuch013-1.jpg

Bottlesandsuch015.jpg

Bottlesandsuch010-1.jpg

Bottlesandsuch012-1.jpg

Bottlesandsuch002-2.jpg

Bottlesandsuch001-1.jpg

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've been meaning to do the same thing for a few bottles I have. The problem is, I think it's near impossible to match the color exactly. Looks like you ran into the same difficulty. I think the color is the problem, you can see quite evidently that the bottle has been repaired.

swizzle

Reaction score
From a distance its not nearly as obvious. The one thing I also wasn't happy with is that the epoxy says that it drys crystal clear. Its not clear at all. When you hold it up to the light the repair actually cast a shadow through the glass. I also noticed how clear the glass is but the repair has air bubbles. I'm thinking that I may need to set it on a vibrating surface to remove some if not all of the bubbles. I'm wondering if the tiny drop of testor paint really affected the clarity of the epoxy. Anyone else have thoughts, opinions, suggestions on better quality resin? Any suggestions at all? Thanx, Wheelah23. Swiz

swizzle

Reaction score
No I didn't. I think I may have to actually add a little more to get it dark enough. Matching the color is only one hurdle. The other problem that i think may have caused the clarity issue is the air dry clay that I used. It says it takes 2-3 days to dry and I used it wet. I think some of the clay may be bonded to the epoxy. Is there anything that dries faster or works better that I could use right away? I'm thinking that the air dry clay will shrink as it dries and that it won't be the perfect mold material That I need. I think I left my dremel up to my parents house. I was gonna try to buff it a bit to see if it would clear up some. I can't imagine that sand paper would be the way to go. So many questions but this is how the learning process works. Swiz

carobran

Reaction score
well,other than the fact that the repair looks like its glowing i think it looks ok............at least now you wont slice you finger on it[8|][;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
At least let the clay dry completely, then coat the inside of the mold with urethane or wax or something.. shelaquer maybe.. I also think the paint you tinted it with had too many solids in it's constitution.. but you were dam close with the color, I gotta say..!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4