1st attempt bottle repair

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Swiz,...how about a dam or mold made of scotch tape? I've heard of that used..

I've heard of the scotch tape trick as well. It just seems like it would create more of a straight line between the edges of the chip. I keep picturing the top looking like an O but with the tape more of a C with a straight line where the chip is.

Btl_Dvr I'll check out that link for sure.

Cyber, that does make sense about the paint. I may even have to try food coloring just as an experiment. Worse that could happen is that I wasted another day trying to perfect my technique. Hardly wasting my time as long as I'm learning though. Swiz

logueb

Reaction score
They make a glass stain. You can get translucent glass paint that will allow the light to shine through. A small kit with the various colors would allow you to mix until you get a good match on the green. This is just a thought and may not work at all. I bought a glass/bottle cutting kit back in the 70s and played around with it a little bit. Just a thought. Buster

swizzle

Reaction score
I popped out the old chunk yesterday to make way for my next attempt at repairing. I tried the tape trick and it seems to be fine for the back side of the chip but the front and larger part of the chip it would only make a straight line. So I decided to glob some more air dry clay on the side that is good and wait for it to dry. I should be able to use it by the end of today. I'll probably have to tape it in place but it should work.

For tinting I actually found Emerald stain in the painting section. I bought food coloring too but there's no way I'm gonna use it if its gonna fade in time. I want a good solid repair that will stand the test of time. I'll most likely buy a few of those tinting agents in the next week. One other question I have is about the epoxy. I noticed when I popped it out it was about the consistency of hard rubber. I could also dent it with my fingernail. I would like a repair that is just as hard as the glass. Is there an epoxy that will do that? Swiz

appliedlips

Reaction score
Hxtal, is a resin that will harden to the point it can be ground and polished. It is pricey,though. I started out with Castin Craft casting resin available at Michael's craft stores. You can buy a kit of dyes in primary colors made for it.

swizzle

Reaction score
Is there a cheaper alternative to hxtal. It just doesn't seem like that little bottle would go very far. If I could repair a dozen bottles with that one bottle then maybe but with experimenting with colors I don't believe it'd be worth it. At least not until I get my color matching skills down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday