1st attempt bottle repair

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

suzanne

Reaction score
I use car windshield resin. You can buy an ounce online. 42.00. If you think that's a lot of money, remember you get what you pay for when it comes to bottle repair, same way with bottle cleaning. YOu can only use it in warm or hot weather. After you apply you need to cover repair with clear plastic like a baggie and set out in the sun to cure. It's the most invisible repair I've discovered; If you use it on clear glass you can't tell it was ever broken a lot of times.

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx Suzanne. I was looking for windshield resin in Wally World and Big Lots. I didn't see anything there though. I should probably try an auto parts store instead. I'll go check it out on pay day. Swiz

suzanne

Reaction score
Your welcome. You are better off to get it online. Autozone sells you a kit consisting of a razor blade, a 2 inch piece of of plastic wrap, a razor blade, and a tube of resin containing about 3 drops for 12.00. Enough for one small crack. You don't need special plastic; any plastic works as long as you can wrap it around the repair area. I forgot to mention before you need a razor blade to peel off excess resin that runs down the side after bottle is dry.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
If you want to make a small mold of an area, a cheap way is to buy clear silicone sealant in tubes at the hardware store.
You have to coat the object with something like pam as a release agent first. Then build up a thick coating of silicone over the area to mold.

suzanne

Reaction score
That is a a very good idea. Can't wait to try it.

baltbottles

Reaction score
Most chips can be repaired to a very high standard. These 3 bottles all had lip damage repaired the cologne on the left had about 80 percent of its flared lip rebuilt the center one had about 30 percent of its lip and a a small hole on the right side filled in and the kidder ink had about 30 percent of its flared lip restored.

Repaired bottles are strange for me as I don't like having them in my own collection. However my artistic creative side likes to mess around with the process just for kicks sometimes.....

Chris

6F33DB69F6E045FBB13A01BDA0C2D622.jpg

Attachments

• 6F33DB69F6E045FBB13A01BDA0C2D622.jpg
    6F33DB69F6E045FBB13A01BDA0C2D622.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 85

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member