9/23 Storage Auctions!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

pjritter

Reaction score
OK I think im gonna post my storage auction fun on here since there is other random stuff posted in this section of the forum. I will start a new thread after every time I go if you guys and gals wanna hear about the finds and shit that goes on.

9/23

Started the day in Trenton NJ. There were about 35 buyers and 5 units for sale. There were about 8 parking spots so it became entertaining immediatly upon arrival. This particular facility has a security guard ... gives you an idea of the people who actually store stuff in there. The auction started as usual with the uptight drama queen auctioneer spouting off his rules and whatnot. Each unit was typical ... couch, chair, mattress, boxes, clothes, tube TVs and random household stuff. People store TRASH also. Literally its TRASH ... not just trash to the reseller but trash to them also. Why this is ... its still a mystery to be solved by scooby doo and the gang. All the units sold for $25 to around $700.

When it was all over at this location, we played musical cars and were on our way to check out 10 units in Lawrenceville NJ. The parking was a little better since there were only about 12 buyers ... BUT ... there were new faces. The auctioneer Tom did his diva act and we were on our way to see the first unit. It was a 10' x 10'. There were a few Uline boxes that contained shrink wrap and packaging tape and about 75 shoe boxes that might have Nike Air Jordans that were lined up and stacked against the back wall. The auctioneer was messing with us a little bit...he said if we all walked around the corner he would check to see if the shoes were in there. He had no intentions of doing this. I bid up to $250 since the packing supplies would yield a profit at this amount but was outbid. Two guys bid the locker up to $400. If the shoes were in the boxes and brand new then its an easy $3k profit...but I dont gamble on shoes...nor do I have a fetish. The next unit was typical but had a nice specialized bike and sold for $400ish. The next unit was a barron 10' x 20'. All you could see was an electric dryer, filing cabinets and boxes of paper. The auctioneer was begging for $10 so I stepped up and said $5 and he said sold. I sealed it up and we went to the next one. This next 10' x 20' unit was fun to watch sell. It had boxes of unknown treasures, a soft guitar case which obviously had a guitar in it, and you could see graded sports cards. My buddy started bidding at $425 and then one of the new faces yelled $500! Everyone laughed. My buddy bid $525 and the same new guy yelled $600! My buddy dropped out and a seasoned bidder jumped in bidding against this guy. The bid went $625 and the new guy yelled $700 ... this went on until the new guy finally won the unit for $1400. Now this really happened ...the new guy pulled out his money (cash only sale) to give the auctioneer a deposit and showed everyone the wad and told us there was $23,000 there. The auctioneer nervously told the guy its not a good idea to tell everone that. I saw the wad stated hand there was at least $20k there. Who does that?? I asked the guy what he saw and he pointed out sealed cases of hess trucks. He stated could get $22 each for a hess truck. I looked in the back and saw the cases but they were recent hess trucks...I CANT get $5 for those things at the local fleamarket. So I followed the crowd to the next units which were typical and boing.

This was the last facility for the day so after I paid I decided to go check out my unit I purchased for $5 + tax + 15% buyers premium. On my way over the new guy was just starting to go through the unit. He was obviously a newbie cause he was shaking with anticipation. He opened the guitar case and it yielded a well worn Ibanez guitar, the next thing were the sports cards. They were mostly from the 1990s and I didnt see more than $400 in value. I said "way cool" and I proceeded to my unit. There were 7 filing cabinets and all were filled with paper from a business. the boxes of paper were also from the business, but one of the filing cabinets was locked. I didnt think much of it and proceeded to stack the papers in the corner. Since there were checks, paychecks, timecards, personal records etc...i dont have to take this stuff. The storage company requests you leave all personal records, photos etc so they can attempt to return it to the deliquint owner. After emptying all the cabinets except for the locked one, i noticed the label on the top drawer said "petty cash and paychecks". Hmmmm....I wonder.... After spending about 20 mins bending the lock back with a screwdriver ... it opened. Sure enough there was a little metal (fortunatly unlocked) cash box behind some binders and papers. I shook it and heard change. To my amazment there were a couple rolls of dimes, nickels, pennies and loose change that later totaled $32.73. I loaded up my scrap metal and was on my way....but not before I checked in with money bags....guess what? His hess truck cases didnt have hess trucks......they were loaded with clothes. [&:]

Maybe one day I'll find a unit loaded with great bottles but until then I will have to deal with the mattresses and cockroaches.

Come on out for the fun!

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Doing ext spc with Tom? He's alright, plays favorites with a few people. Ended a few units without fair warning and the crowd turned on him. Do you have a guy named Will down there, drives a red pickup, follows Tom everywhere. He's in his pocket from what I hear.
Do you come up to north jersey at all?
Garbage units are unavoidable when you buy in the hood, but drug dealers have expensive taste in clothes and jewelry and tend to lose units when they go to jail.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen