a.lancaster wheaton not a repro?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

octochick

Reaction score
bit-.jpg

I have just started collecting and found this bitters bottle, I know wheaton has done some repros in colors but this bottel appears to be very old, it is still half full and has the cork topper? The bottle has a slight yellow tinge but the may be stained from the contents? It is only 3"s high. Did wheaton produce the bottle originally? Or are all of these with wheaton on the bottom reproductions? Is it possile I have one of the originals, that were later reproduced? Does anyone know the value if it is an original?
Thanks so much and I hope to learn a lot here.

octochick

octochick

Reaction score
Oh well, I guess I won't be headed for an early retirement after all. Though I wonder, do the older repros have any value. This does appear to be very old? It does have wheaton on the bottom though. And what does 'pontiled' mean exactly?

David E Dearden

Reaction score
Wheaton Marks W in circle since 1946,
TCW since 1800, TCW Co since 1920,
WHEATON since 1920.
I would not think the Weaton TCW was a repo (did they make repos back then)
Julian Toulois bottles and their makers

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hello octochick; When I first came on this thread there were two pictures of this bottle. Now there is no picture. I don't have a picture of a Wheaton bottom simulated identity mark. It is a round 3/4" form indented with some straight lined sides on the way around it. There is not always any embossed identity word. Can you show a picture if the bottom?

It sounds like a repro attempt to me, because it was indicated that the original bottles were only being filled for about a year - back when (1852). RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter