A new buy at my first auction...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

scoobis

Reaction score
Okay, i just went to my first auction ever....Really cool...

And one thing that i saw that caught my eye was a blue glass bottle....It is 5 inches tall, and two wide. On the bottom it says, "Genuine Phillips" and on the side of that is an M and a 14. And below is "MADE IN USA"

I know it's not too old cosidering the screw top but what do i have here? All the man who sold it to me said was that it was a medicine bottle.

BTW...i paid $5 for it.....i know i may have overpaid, but i was confused the darn auctioneer was talking crazy fast and pointing everywhere.

So any dates and values you guys have?

luvtodig

Reaction score
Hi Scoobis! welcome to the world of auctions..can be confusing the first time[:eek:] you have a Milk of Magnesia bottle, with the screw top, pretty common, and modern..I went to a auction this morning myself..may be the only way I am going to get bottles at this time..it keeps raining here[:mad:] after you poke through all the junk, and maybe find something you want to bid on, then you find out that they are going to go through all the lot's of junk first[&:] my boyfriend and I figured we were going to have to stand there for at least an hour and a half to get to the "good stuff"...which was not that good..so not worth the time...the bottles were common, the arrowheads, could have been faked..had to bid on the whole lot, just to get the two that were good..so we had a good drive to this place and got to look at a lot of stuff...my experience with auctions is a lot like today..but once in a while you get to bid on something good...oh my the rush is like no other [8D] so easy to get caught up in the moment, and that is the auctioneer's job, to do just that...I am glad you had a good time scoobis..I always do too[:D] ya never know, maybe the next one you can bring home a treasure..I am going again on Monday..hope they have the bottles that they listed..wish me luck[;)]

IRISH

Reaction score
Bottle auctions ("pure" bottle auctions [:D] ) are fantastic if you can find one you can get to, a lot of stuff tends to go very high but there is always a lot of real bargains too.
Be warned though, no matter how much money you bring it won't be enough, bidding is very addictive [;)] .

bne74honda

Reaction score
Auctions are a riot!! I used to go to a lot of estate auctions and wander about. One place I always went had the main hall set up with all the large pieces (furniture etc.) and a separate barn for odds & ends.....old painted chairs, asst. tools and invariably boxes of general 'stuff' thrown together. It was these boxes that I always bid on. I'd just take a quick glance as I walked around...If there was one thing in a box worth $1 to me, I would bid. I never paid more than 75 cents for any box.

One item I found this way is a lovely salt and pepper set on a tiny glass tray that we use with our fine china. I also bought my wife a wonderful early 1900's vanity at one of those auctions. Amazingly enough, it actually is easy to outbid a dealer! When your motive is other than profit you can walk away with just about anything you want.

Brian

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc