A word of advice to ebay sellers...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ckjbottleneck

Reaction score
I have been a buyer and seller on eBay for years. But last month a item I sold went very bad for me and I was awakened to EBay’s draconian selling/buying policies. Therefore I recently deleted my account. There are other companies other then EBay to choose from. EBay has a policy of “ money back guarantee” afforded to the buyer. All a buyer has to say is “ not as described” and you have to give a refund. YOU the seller must pay to have the “ buyer” ship your item back to you. And if you don’t do this “ shipping label” thing within 3 days. EBay can “ close” the case and the “ buyer” gets the refund and keeps the item. It happened to me. Filing a appeal just went back and forth and was still awarded in favor to “ buyer”. I lost the sale, and my $200. Item.

Bohdan

Reaction score
Once again I'm dealing with the frustration of a local bottle I've bought on ebay being refunded becuase said owner "cannot find it."

First of all what lame excuse, if you sell something on ebay and have it listed you should be able to pull it out at whim in front of you. Why list something if there is even a slight chance you may not have it?

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time this happened and now a second time??!! Both times with bottles I've purchased that are local and closely attached to me.

So, if any of you sell on ebay please make sure that you know for certain you have an item before listing it and please double or even triple check. I cannot describe the frustration I am feeling right now.

In my view the full refund I received for the payment of the bottle in either case is not enough to match the desire I had for the bottle in which it was being purchased for in the first place.

Have any of you been afflicted by this?
Never bought a bottle in my life.
The attraction is in doing the research, going out to wherever and finding (or not finding) them.
"Posessing" them means very little - if anything. I give away most of my finds - keep (for a while) the ones that are a 'memory peg' to some person or event.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
Never bought a bottle in my life.
The attraction is in doing the research, going out to wherever and finding (or not finding) them.
"Posessing" them means very little - if anything. I give away most of my finds - keep (for a while) the ones that are a 'memory peg' to some person or event.

Bohdan, some bottles you just can't find easily, so you sometimes need to buy them. Actually, fun fact, some of the most valuable bottles were never found, but purchased from someone (sometimes for a lower price than they were worth). I can also guarantee that almost every collector has at least bought a bottle online, at a bottle show,, at an estate sale, etc. for themselves or others.

Also research of my newly aquired or bought bottles is actually my most favorite part of collecting. I also sell the ones I don't need in my collection, but I do keep the ones I'm looking for. In my opinion you are not a true collector if you don't have something in particular that you collect and wouldn't give away or are passionate over.

I always hate when people are in this hobby only to make money and troll others with false information while thinking that they, themselves, are "smarter" about topics than others in the hobby, when instead they are actually not and look stupid doing so.

ronbot

Reaction score
Once again I'm dealing with the frustration of a local bottle I've bought on ebay being refunded becuase said owner "cannot find it."

First of all what lame excuse, if you sell something on ebay and have it listed you should be able to pull it out at whim in front of you. Why list something if there is even a slight chance you may not have it?

I couldn't believe my eyes the first time this happened and now a second time??!! Both times with bottles I've purchased that are local and closely attached to me.

So, if any of you sell on ebay please make sure that you know for certain you have an item before listing it and please double or even triple check. I cannot describe the frustration I am feeling right now.

In my view the full refund I received for the payment of the bottle in either case is not enough to match the desire I had for the bottle in which it was being purchased for in the first place.

Have any of you been afflicted by this?

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
What an attitude!
I've been digging since the early 70's and I don't believe I need a lecture from you about what a "...true collector..." is, boy.
I don't understand how you can say"....some of the most valuable bottles were never found, but purchased from someone (sometimes for a lower price than they were worth)" and then turn around and say "...I always hate when people are in this hobby only to make money...".
Give your head a shake sonny.

What meant was some of the most valuable bottles were found in attics and sold to people at yard sales (they were never dug). I also was trying to say that people who are in this hobby that only care about the monetary value of bottles FOR EVERY BOTTLE THEY EVER HAVE are bad. I think that buying bottles for yourself or for low price on occasion is different since you have other bottles that you do care about. You buy the bottles becuase you might want to research them or even to make some extra money on the side to buy other bottles for your collection (remember what I said about some bottles being almost impossible to dig or get for free). Also I was just stating my opinion on most of this. I'm sorry if I came across as having a negative attitude in your eye, I wasn't attacking you personally, I was just stating what I believe on this topic. I have many friends who were diggers back in the 70s as well and do respect those with high regard who came before me.

Last edited:

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Yes some people do lose their listed items. I have before, but I’ve looked up to an hour for them and realized I place them in the wrong storage tote. Most of the time tho when they use that excuse they have sold it on another site or they broke it

Timelypicken

Reaction score
So now I'm mad, angry & confused. I won a bid last night on ebay, I was only "1 of 2 Bids", the first & only other bid was *1 cent", I come along & place the 2nd & only other bid @$25.50 being my max bid. There were no other bids made & I won it, only problem is they are charging me my max $25.50 bid... & Not my lower incremental bid of $4.00. I'm about done with ebay!!!
They probably had a reserve set on the bottle for $25. eBay or the buyer does not charge you your max at the end of an auction unless their was a reserve and you bid a number past the reserve

Timelypicken

Reaction score
Whenever you win the bidding on eBay and the seller "forgets", "loses", or "discovers something new" and doesn't send the item - REPORT THEM TO eBAY! Those are just excuses because the seller has seller's remorse for selling the item too low. They should be banned from ever selling items again on eBay and should suffer consequences for failure to deliver on a contractual obligation. This is not just an "oh well" situation, there are implications for the seller and you should pursue them.
I am a full time eBay seller and those “excuses” are sometimes true. Reporting them to eBay does nothing. The best thing you can do is leave neutral feedback and move on once you have been fully refunded

Timelypicken

Reaction score
They can last indefinitely if eBay removes negative feedback in order to inflate buyer confidence with sellers having an unjustifiably high rating.

I had a scarce Italian Military rucksack on my watch list for about a year before I was alerted to a listing for one. Since it was available for a "Buy It Now" price that I could justify, I "bought" it and immediately paid, including the stated shipping charge, with my credit card.

The "seller" was a little slow to respond. When he did, he stated that he was refunding my payment as the pack had some defective buckles that he hadn't noticed previously. I asked for pictures of the buckles or a slight price adjustment. I explained that I wanted to use the pack for hunting and could repair the damage myself. Seller said he was sending the pack back to the factory for repair and would notify me when he relisted it--note that he was relisting, not forwarding the pack directly to me.

Less than two weeks later, the pack again appeared on eBay, but with a doubled shipping charge! It was obvious BS! Without the foul taste, I might still have purchased the pack from a different seller; but it was obvious to me that the seller, seeing the virtually instantaneous purchase of the pack via "Buy It Now" had decided that he'd sold too cheaply, or had perhaps not specified sufficient shipping charge to cover his actual costs for shipping to the USA (pack was in Italy), a situation that I would have been negotiable on if approached honestly.

Since 2000, I have purchased literally hundreds of items through eBay. I was tempted to post negative feedback a couple times, but never did. However, I did post for the rucksack seller and explained my reason. Recently, after a few months had passed since the posting, I reviewed the seller's feedback--it is 100% positive, with no negative feedback listed in the statistics!

Plain and simple: Don't trust any of the Big Tech and Social Media corporations to even treat you fairly, let alone have your best interest at heart.
eBay has a weird glitch where after a certain amount of time the negative feedback will disappear or He could of had a good excuse for eBay to get it removed.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2