Another Thing We Dig

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

carobran

Reaction score
I don't guess we have those here.The only thing I've ever eaten (well,drank) from the woods is sassafras tea.Though I have often thought of picking wild onions and making miniature onion rings,doubt that would work too great though.[8|]..Anybody ever eaten wild onions?Do they taste basically the same as store bought onions?I always figured they were probably stronger.Anyway,didn't mean to get off course,ever tried making garlic bread with those leeks?Of course,then I guess it would be leek bread....

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Ramp fans,

The bride came home with a load of ramps picked after church, and asked me to see what the pricing was on the internet. She cooked a magnificent special treat dinner.

Grilled lamb chops with young ramps sauteed in olive oil, and crisply sauteed leek bulbs, with drunken portobellos, and baked potato.

What a feast it was. A
r04mdh.jpg
pairing flavorwise! We're talking seriously delicious.

So I see one place selling them for $11.95 lb., and see this global warming doom & gloom ramp report:

"According to Russ Cohen, a wild foods expert in Massachusetts and author of "Wild Plants I Have Known...and Eaten" entire colonies of ramps are being dug up in the Berkshires, leaving a barren patch of ground, a practice that is clearly not sustainable and leaving no possibility for regeneration. Cohen has observed that in the Berkshires, the main region in Massachusetts where the forest type supports the growth of ramps, any disturbance to ramp colonies can leave them susceptible to invasion by non native species such as garlic mustard. This phenomena has been observed in other regions. Christopher Ludwig, chief biologist for the Virginia Department of Conservation and Natural Heritage has noticed garlic mustard and an invasive grass where ramps have been disturbed. Digging creates a surface of open soil suitable for exotic seed germination, and produces gaps in relatively stable and invasive resistant clumps. Botanists have noticed that when a colony of plants is left undisturbed it may flourish and remain intact for a very long time, a phenomena known as stability. Once the invasive species take root in a clump of ramps they reduce the possibilities of the native plants reestablishing themselves. Relatively little is known scientifically about what happens over time to a clump or ramps or other woodland wildflowers, once disturbed or dug up. Few scientific studies have been performed...

About eight years ago the long time tradition of picking ramps in Smokey Mountain National Park was banned due to concerns about over harvesting based on the results of a long term study that began in 1989. Ramps were routinely over harvested in many instances with as much as 90% of the populations removed. It was determined that It would take 100 years for these clump to recover, and it was estimated that clumps with 25% of their population harvested would take ten years to recover. It was thus determined that the rate of harvest was not sustainable, and would over time seriously deplete the ramp population. While generally illegal to pick any whole plant in a national park, harvesters, were allowed to take a peck of ramps at a time before the ban. In the national forests of North Carolina with a free permit it is legal to pick up to five pounds per individual per year...

While many native wild flowers are difficult to propagate, Davis and others have discovered that ramps can be cultivated in their native habitats. Seed of ramps can take 6 or 18 months to germinate and about five or more years to reach maturity, that is the ability to reproduce by seed. Because of this long development cycle many native plants of the rich woodland are vulnerable. When whole plants are harvested, especially before reaching maturity, they cannot produce seeds which ripen in fall. Jim Chamberlain is currently studying ramp reproduction by seed and its viability, he stresses that “ there is no empirical evidence for how well the plant reproduces by seed—we just don’t know.â€

Immature plants are routinely harvested along with full size plants, preventing these individuals from reaching maturity. I have observed many samples of wild leeks for sale that include both tiny and small bulbs. While some harvesters leave the small bulbs, or replant them as they harvest, many do not.

Ramps can also be propagated by so called root division by separating the smaller buds which form along the rhizome, once the plant has reached maturity, and replanting them. Replanted bulbs require 3-5 years to reach maturity depending on conditions and bulb size. Glen Facemire, Jr. proprietor of the Ramp Farm in West Virginia claims to be the only all ramp farm in the United States. His farm is situated in one of the rich mountain valleys of West Virginia where leeks are native. He sells leeks for eating and replanting in addition to seeds. Their retail price is a hefty $21.55 per pound including shipping. Facemire says he both digs wild ramps and his cultivated stock. When asked about his success with seeding he said that he did not track it, while Jeannine Davis assured me that his ramp population have proliferated from his cultivation efforts.

Some harvesters assert that by cutting off the root tip from the bulbous stem and replanting, a new plant will form. According to Gary Kauffman field studies prove this is not the case. He indicates that only by leaving a larger portion of the bulb is it possible for the plant to survive and then the results are marginal..." From.

timothy-young-wild-leeks.jpg

"German Potato Salad with Wild Leeks

4 potatoes (red skin)
4 slices bacon
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons white sugar or rice syrup
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup diced wild leeks (bulb and leaf)
1/4 cup diced red pepper
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes; cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and chop.
Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Reserve bacon fat.
Add leek whites to bacon fat and sautee until translucent or just beginning to brown.
add the flour, sugar, water and vinegar to skillet and cook over medium heat until dressing is thick.
Add bacon, potatoes and green sliced leek greens to skillet and stir until coated. Cook until heated and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or cold." From.

ironmountain

Reaction score
nice pics and vids!!! had a huge rush of memories come flooding in...

Friend, his dad and I used to come up here (U.P. of Mich) from downstate to go walleye fishing. We stayed in the middle of nowhere on a river at a little lot with 3 cabins on it. Turns out friend's dad and his friends have been fishing there since their grandfathers used to take them there. So was a 3generation cabin at the time. We'd catch walleye and friend and I would dig some leeks and his dad had a morel spot he'd hit up. Fresh walleye/leeks/morels in some tin foil with a bit of butter on the fire=pure heaven...

Thx for digging those memories up!!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter