Antique bottle auction site is live! as of right NOW!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hey forum users the mrbottles.com auction site is live. You can do long term auctions (up to 365 days) with a store... Up to thirty days without. I am promoting it with a non bottle brother this Sunday at the Milwaukee Antique bottle club show. Please tell everyone you know. Tell the antique dealers when you stop in. Tell Antique dealers can have a store where they list anything old for one year auctions with no listing charge. You can put out big dog items with a huge buy it now, a little less reserve and let them sit like a trolling line waiting for the monster fish to bite.

The bids on my Swartz clay beer are real! Before the site was live three separate users set up accounts and bid! I contacted all three, they want it. I will be doing a ton of promoting. PLEASE spread the word. The faster it gets going the better a resource it will be for everyone sooner.

I will be posting a PDF brochure people can print and tack up wherever it is allowed. I will email it directly to the people who asked for it. THANK YOU!

I will try to make sure people here get their usernames. Best way to lock it up is to register. It costs nothing.

Hope to see you there.

I have a lay person doing bottle listing in my store just to get things up. I will be coming back and editing them later. So if they seem a little squirrely I apologize. She is taking books home to learn though.

http://antiqueauctions.mrbottles.com/

My best,

Steven

Wilkie

Reaction score
It looks good but I'm really against those long term auctions. Too many things can happen in a years time or even a few months. A person can bid on a bottle, then a few weeks later dig one or find one elsewhere and now he's stuck with that bid if someone doesn't outbid them. Or.....financial situations might arise preventing the person from paying for the bottle months later. The bottle can get broken or stolen, or "misplaced. Lot's of things can happen. I don't know what advantage there is to having auctions last that long. Do you think the bids will keep going up the longer an auction is up? I don't think so. If you're worried about a bottle slipping through at a bargain price then put a reserve on it.
Maybe it's just me but I really do not like long auctions.

Wilkie

Reaction score
too many categories. You need to slim it down some. Also, I don't understand why we have to wade through all the other categories to find what we want, ie. antiques general, advertising, etc. Why can't we just click on bottles, then choose what catergory of bottle we want?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I'm not sure that auction HAVE to be that long. I see different auctions there that appear to have different durations so I assume the seller can select duration?
Not sure what the minimum duration is.

I noticed that the current bid in the list format always seems to be $0 but when you go into the particular auction it will show the actual amount. That is a bit confusing.

mrbottles

Reaction score

Hey Wilkie, the long term auctions are not intended to be for a typical auction. You can select all the way down to one hour for the length of the auction. The reason a three month or a six month or a year auction is nice is because people can put an item out in a store with buy now only and there are no bids it is a flat rate one time sale. The item will still count down for a year because if no one wants it after a year I don’t want it on the site. The advantage of a long term auction with no minimum bid and a high buy it now or reserve is that interested parties can get on the board below the reserve and get an email notice when bids are placed. Again people can choose one week. I am recommending a little longer right off the bat so that we can get interested buyers on the site before items close. I am doing as much promoting as possible right now. We are putting some ads out and doing a number of email blasts to client lists. The first is everyone who ever sent me email at mrbottles.com... That is thousands alone! The second is everyone on my desktop computer that is tens of thousands and the third is every email client we host on our servers... That is hundreds of thousands. Some of you will get the emails. PLEASE spread the word.

Matt I was going to send you and email... Any chance you would be willing to link from your site? Anyone else?

Thanks,

Steven

mrbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wilkie

too many categories. You need to slim it down some. Also, I don't understand why we have to wade through all the other categories to find what we want, ie. antiques general, advertising, etc. Why can't we just click on bottles, then choose what catergory of bottle we want?

Wilkie you can just type in any word or words and search on the top left. It will index every title category and description. We will make that visually more clear right now. We will call that quick search.

Steven

cc6pack

Reaction score
Steve I just answered you email,

As far as a long term auction I like them. Not sure I'd put stuff out for a year but 1,2, or even 3 months sounds good. I have some rare and I do mean rare not ebay rare Candler and Pemberton items that need just the right person to come along. It'll be after the Rome show before I'm able to take good look at the site. Congrats on getting it up and running, hope you dont have to many glitches[:D]

mrbottles

Reaction score
Thanks Mat,

If i don't have a link to you yet i will get one up. We get about 5000 unique human visitors per month at the main site. Some of our links are used more than 100 times per month.

Steven

Wilkie

Reaction score
I missed the quick links. yes, I like that.

I hope the website is a success! I'm sure you'll be tweaking it as you go. Maybe I'll even give it a go this weekend. I've got a few things to sell.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen