Any good finds this weekend?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
accountant- I love craigs list both for buying and selling. I mostly sell antique furniture, and do much better in winter when there are not other yard sales and flea markets and when people have more time to travel to come take a look. Buying there is good too, but you have to be patient and regularly check the listings.

ironmountain

Reaction score
MI,

Looks like the consensus is saying AT Pro because you get more for your buck...you can take it into the water and it's great on land. The AT also has a better coil and runs at a higher frequency which means it's more likely to help you find rings better.

But there are other models that have great features and work very very well. The tesoro Vacquero is on of them.

Also seems lately Garrett's QC has been lacking a bit. As far as the waterproof case letting water in, issues with the lower rod..easily fixed that I know they are being very helpful with people having these issues.

The Minelab Exterra is a sweet machine also..unless you're going into the water alot, i'd get the 705...they are competitively priced. and Im sure one of the dealers on the web forum i go to would be more than happy to hook you up whichever way you choose.

If I didnt have the cash to get the F75, I'd get the 705, Vacquero, at pro, fisher f5....

ironmountain

Reaction score
Todd, how do you compete in craigslist? I surf it everyday and the amount of money or stuff for a barter is ridiculous. I see people selling common sodas for 199 each. It's worth it because they know they are very old. I realize the practive of inflating it so people will try to get you down, but it's getting ridiculous. I still like perusing CL everyday waiting to fid what I need for some basement projects...It always seems as if people want or think they're going to get retail for items.....

ok.../end rant

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Yes, craigs list is mostly full of ridiculously overpriced items ( just like buy it now on ebay) but there are some great deals on there. You just have to respond as soon as a good item is posted. The good ones get sold right away and the ads deleted so if you only look once a day you are unlikely to see anything good. I've always preferred CL and yard sales over ebay and regular auctions, because though it takes more time the potential rewards are much greater and besides, I enjoy the challenge.

accountantadam

Reaction score
MI- I'm sorry to hear your sale didn't go any better than that. You gonna try another one before the weather finally turns?
I know what you guys mean about craigslist. Seems like most people have absolutely no idea what stuff's actually worth. They think just because it's older, it must be worth a fortune. Or you see this line " I'm asking 40, they're going on ebay for 75". Except they fail to mention if you actually look at the completed listings, whatever they're trying to sell is bringing 10.
On a better note, I did pretty well this morning. 2 pieces of hull pottery, 4 old irons, a midland motor oil can, a wagner cast iron skillet, 2 sets of scales, a coca cola bottle opener, and a real nice gem beverages cooler. Found 1 bottle, an amber clover's distemper medicine.
Anyone else have any luck this morning??

toddrandolph

Reaction score
No luck this morning, I went to one estate sale, arrived over an hour before the posted starting time and thought I was the first one there until she told me that they had people show up yesterday. Doesn't matter as it was all junk and high prices and I doubt there was anything there to begin with. The sales are really slowing down, the season is about done for this year around here.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Acct- well I think Iam done for the year with me setting up rummages. I mean money is very tight here. I was amazed at how few people turned up. Last time we were over run. But, after attending so many sales and seeing 1/2 off or best offer at many Sunday sales I shouldve known.

Got rid of some stuff, donated some, tossed some, and wheeled some off. And the best part is the car now fits back in the garage!.

With todays weather, I can see Winters not far off. Could see your breath, frost, rain, wind, leaves all over the place. Just cleaning up things and putting stuff away. Guess I wont be buying anymore shorts for this year. Unless we get the weekend of Indian summer.

ironmountain

Reaction score
was cold up here too...not as windy though...tomorrow supposed to be in the 60's and 4mph wind..good day for the MD.

I'm kind of irked. Friend of mine owns 400 storage units and last year my buddy and I took all of the stuff from delinquent clients (by law he has to announce the auction in the paper etc.....we just get there right away and tear through it)...last year, he had a client who had about 1500 albums/cd's/mini discs/dvd's...all new. we took the pics, we handled the shipping/selling/packaging...and we fed him money.....

I think he and his gf are trying to do it themselves this year.(he barely knows how to turn a computer on so I'm wondering how that's going..plus his GF is conniving and sneaky)..He hasn't called at all and he has 3 auctions tomorrow. So one of us or both of us are just going to go down there and snag everything and just buy it...

either that or i'm just going to have the wife drop me off somewhere and MD all day..need to get out and get it done before this weather gets too bad. Although the forecast is for a warmer oct/nov than the avg...

MIdigger

Reaction score
Interesting you bring up cds etc. When I was out at a ball park I looked in the dumpster (junkmans habit) there were cartons of old 78 records in there. I debated dumpster diving (probably shouldve) but I left them. Probably worth a mint.

rickoroni

Reaction score
I ended up getting a scrapbook full of newspapers from the day after Elvis died.... theres about 5 newspapers and over 100 clippings along with advertisements including Elvis and some stamps...and i happened to know the seller so she let it go for free.....So I had a decent day

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator