Any good finds this weekend?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

accountantadam

Reaction score
Todd - I hate when people do that. Thats happened to me numerous times as well. If you're gonna advertise it as opening at a certain time, then thats when it should open.
Ironmountain - that stinks your so called "friend" is trying to cut you out.
Finally picked up some nice bottles yesterday. Rainy and 50 down here, but we went to an auction with some decent stuff. 10 boxes of bottles there, and I ended up with 4 boxes. Couple of locals I didn't have yet, including a nice paper label flask. I'm gonna try to get some pictures up this week, I need some help on values of some of them. Also got a nice metal telescoping fishing rod with a green hornet reel, a mccoy cookie jar, a few nice pieces of glass, some hand tools, 2 ice cream chairs, a box of post cards, an old saw, and some toys.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Went to the flea mkts today. The Rockwood race track one had lots of bottles and goods. The others I saw a lot of stuff. kept my purchases to silver and coins. Did see a close copy of the Wolverine soda I have, but this one the guy had didnt have the wolverine embossed on his. said my would be 1910 or so.

Lots of antique stuff. Was nice to look around at some interesting items and have some elbow room.

ironmountain

Reaction score
I seriously need to travel and hit real flea markets and auctions...you guys (digger and adam) always get good stuff...

Didnt even get to MD much this weekend...

wife had me doing junk on sat and I was feeling horrid (sinus issues with the weather)...

wife's friend gave her a 1940's sofa that her grandmother had given her. Nice gesture, ugly sofa. wife wanted to put it upstairs in the spare bedroom...so i thought, great, haul it up there, go MD....oh no...She just had to move my daughter into the spare bedroom, move all the stuff from the spare room into daughter's "old" bedroom...took about 7hrs...I had an hour to MD....found a ton of foil, poptabs and that was it...at least I'm clearing the park of junk.

side note: dogs and very expensive berber carpet do not mix...
We had 9 or so snags the dogs had made with their nails....at least it's easy to fix...
Put adhesive ( i just used some Titebond wood glue) into the hole of the snag. take scratch awl, push the snag into the hole (push awl through the padding to the floor), place hand on awl/carpet, slowly pull out..mush the tip of the glue bottle into hole on top of the new loop you've made, place heavy book on for 24hrs...carpet looks brand new...now I have to sew a 9" rip vac made when wife let it sit in one spot running....

that involves a curved upholstery needle, monofilament fishing line, glue, tacks/small nails to hold it when stretched...going to be fun.

if it's nice tomorrow, I'm going right after i get kids to school....going to spend all day there since wife will be at work, kids at school.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well Iron-youre very handy around the house. surely the wife appreciates that. I was going to go detecting yesterday afternoon, but didnt get home til about 8:30pm or so. Long day. Stopped in waterford for a bite to eat after Fred slipped in to the scca car races (I never knew the place existed) and watched the races for a bit.

The flea mkts were well attended, once it warmed up a bit. Most of the people were willing to deal. The coins/sets I got at great prices. I got a couple proof sets (silver) and the guy was in such a hurry to sell out and leave he actually tossed in an extra one FREE just to get rid of them. then he tried to have me buy his foreign coins out which I declined (no silver), and all current stuff. Also got some Franklin halves and Engelhard 1oz round reasonable. Lots of people aware silvers at 29.90 and trying all kind of BS to charge 36 and up supposedly (because its so hard to find). I just laughed at all these "truths"......Yes, you pay a premium for the metals (to a legit dealer) but Iam not paying 6 bucks to willy-pete so he can buy an extra 40oz tonight.

But, overall the exp was a pretty good one. Had a good time and the food at the burger/sports bar was great. Going detecting in a bit hope to clear some more fields today.

ironmountain

Reaction score
sounds like you had fun today! always nice to find some nice deals and some good chow.

If you want some coins, the metal detecting forum I go to has a classifieds section and inside there is a numismatist section where ppl sell coins..not just dug stuff, but graded stuff etc too..must be for decent prices because alot of people buy them up...it's the friendly metal detecting forum...nice place, a ton of MD info.

also, my friend who owns a sweet all homemade food Italian restaurant and just happens to be an avid MD'er and happens to have been collecting coins since he was a kid and decided to open a little store and now buys/sells etc.. would probably hook you up if guided you to him, besides that, he's one of the most honest dealers I've ever seen.

time to go fix that long berber snag.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Italian restraunt you say??? My weakness......Man I love Italian foods.

Had to go have some nuclear heart stress test today. Man I hate those things. I do a lot of walking MDing, etc but at the end, I almost would prefer to fall over dead on the machine than keep going! Glad thats over. Plus having a migraine and not being able to take my meds for that....well it wasnt a very pleasant expirience.

May go down and MD my sisters house (lives down the street). And some more here at the house. Maybe more 1896 V nickels laying around you know!

Tomorrow I have a park planned to hit accross town with 3 parking lots. Probably some spending change, then maybe hit the parks near here or the fair grounds again (havent covered but maybe 1/2-2/3rds of that yet. Plus theres got to be more silver.

Havent even changed the batteries out yet of the MXT-P yet. Seem to last pretty long in there. But, I have a 24 pack of alkaline standing by. Nothing worse than being in a great place and ..opps outta juice and no replacements.

ironmountain

Reaction score
yeah...good old fashioned homemade Italian food...he hand makes everything. from the bread/pasta/sauce/meatballs to the desserts.

Hope the stress test went well!!! I'm getting used to doctors now. Especially after MRIs on my head, my neck for the new found epilepsy stuff, sleep deprived eeg's and 5hrs of testing for other things.

I do not envy you for having migraines. My daughter gets them. She had the kind that's one long continuous migraine and neuro had to break it up with periactin so that it would interrupt them and make them into normal spaced out migraines...now she's fine with meds, but for a year or so it was horrid. My son has had a couple and they were hardcore. Sunglasses on in the house, nauseous, headache so bad it hurt just to sit there.

Do you use headphones with the MXT? Headphones will extend battery life greatly. I get about 30hrs on 2 9 volts. with headphones. without, it's very short. The only thing that strains the battery alot is when I hit the pinpoint button..Huge battery drain.

MIdigger

Reaction score
Well, my sister has them the worst such as you describe. Mine feel like the old Addams family "Uncle Fester" with his head in that big clamp on his head. Usually 1-2 pills and I am ok. The problem was I woke up with it, and couldnt take any meds until after that test (which started at noon) and ended about 2:30pm.

Yes, I use the headphones on all my detectors. I read as you said, that it extends batt life and its also not annoying anyone around me with the beeps/and squeals etc. Plus being stealthy can be good, keeping undesirables away (kids) wanting to pester you and follow you everywhere. I try to keep a distance away and mind my own business. But once in a while people will politely ask if Ive found anything and I will show them and try to get back to why Iam there.

Hopefully I will come up with a few odds and ends in the morning, plan on hitting that park about 11am or so after I get done running to church.

ironmountain

Reaction score
I love when I'm out and you get 3-4 little kids that run up and basically sit 2" from your dig hole and are peering in waiting for the goodness to come out.

the new neighbors have an 8yr old boy and a 6yr old girl and the 8yr old will see me go to the park and 10mins later hes right there..hard to get rid of someone who's just curious and helping someone dig treasure.

People I know, I don't mind hanging out with me. People I don't know gets annoying. Plus you don't want to have some youngster come up and follow you around and have a parent come headhunting you for luring their kid away. That kind of grief isn't needed. GL tomorrow when you get out. I'm walking daughter and dog to the bus stop, bringing dog home, grabbing my stuff and gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS