Any privy diggers ever seen this before?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

maxbitters

Reaction score
Years ago I dug a round six footer that was lined from top to bottom with clinker bricks. All the bricks were so twisted and distorted they must have had a hard time stacking them. The pit contained mostly 1870s material. It’s not un-common to find a brick lined pit like this that starts square and turns round here in California. In fact good things often happen when we run into this and most are usually deep and very old. The square part provided a foundation and large opening for the house, the round was for stability being much more structurally stable than square.[/align]

Ratzilla

Reaction score
It's very, very common to find deep holes in Philly that go from a square foundation box to a round pit like that, perhaps your privy builder used to work in Philly....the fire brick construction is odd, but I've seen all sorts of recycled weirdness used to build holes, if someone was trying to get rid of any sort of stone or masonary stuff the privy builders would happily use it, who was gonna see it down there? I've even seen holes switch material (stone to brick, clinker brick to soft brick, etc.) halfway down, when they used up one load and started another. I have yet to find a privy wall constructed of old bottles yet, though - but still hoping[;)]...

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

another shot

3CC76F2797E1451284AFD19501FBBE74.jpg
Hey Rick. I'm just curious. Is that hole actually round at that level or have you just not dug it out to the coners? It seems to me your question is more the use of Fire Brick rather than the square then round configuration.

This inquiring mind would like to know. Whatever the case, I am VERY intrigued by this thread. I just wish I could be with you youngns.

surfaceone

Reaction score
It's very, very common to find deep holes in Philly that go from a square foundation box to a round pit like that, perhaps your privy builder used to work in Philly....

Hey Tom,

Thanks for that keen insight. I had asked Rick about that, but had not heard back yet. I wanna see a brick, meself, unless it's a dead giveaway...

DSCN1041.jpg

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botlguy

ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

another shot

3CC76F2797E1451284AFD19501FBBE74.jpg
Hey Rick. I'm just curious. Is that hole actually round at that level or have you just not dug it out to the coners? It seems to me your question is more the use of Fire Brick rather than the square then round configuration.

This inquiring mind would like to know. Whatever the case, I am VERY intrigued by this thread. I just wish I could be with you youngns.

Yeah Jim I was just wondering if anyone has ever seen the use of fire brick in privy pit construction. I have dug many "square to round" pits. The square is where the outhouse it self sat.

So far the hole looks round I only dug that far on my own and thats what I came up with. Sat the badger and me will find out more. Will we dig it or will we filler in,that is the question[:D]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: surfaceone

It's very, very common to find deep holes in Philly that go from a square foundation box to a round pit like that, perhaps your privy builder used to work in Philly....

Hey Tom,

Thanks for that keen insight. I had asked Rick about that, but had not heard back yet. I wanna see a brick, meself, unless it's a dead giveaway...

DSCN1041.jpg
I know I posted a brick on here some where. I just dont feel like digging through my archives now. Its time to go to work blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa[:mad:]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Ok here now im gonna be late for work! thanx Surf [:-]

5904A6BFAE2644C9B5F7E2C0CF767630.jpg

Attachments

• 5904A6BFAE2644C9B5F7E2C0CF767630.jpg
    5904A6BFAE2644C9B5F7E2C0CF767630.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 69

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: madpaddla

Awesome. Very interesting. Never seen anything like it. Lets hope she keeps going. And is loaded ....blue sodas preferred.[sm=thumbup1.gif]

yeah MAD that would be the ideal outcome[:D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Rick,

"Sat the Badger..." sounds like the start of a great Indian digging legend. Here's hoping so.

clearfieldbrick-clearfield.jpg

clearfieldclay-clearfield.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR