Anyone familiar mushroom, fungi?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

willong

Reaction score
I find them after a heavy thunder storm in July, that's in N.J. They grow fast so I like to keep an eye on potential monsters. Get them before the bugs do. I like the picture because it reminds me of one of those exaggerated post cards from the 1920's. Huge fish, rabbit and vegetables. I hope you get out to your property and find some. If they are any color other than pure white inside, they are not giant puffballs.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
I fondly remember those types of postcards! They were a staple of any establishment such as lodges and cafes that catered to tourists in the popular vacation spots.

On the long, dirt, Forest Service road that serves as the back driveway going into a different property, one in Montana that I bought last year, I found many puffballs when I visited this September. The biggest were only about baseball to softball size, but I think they are Giant puffballs, their size simply limited by habitat and weather. It was moot point, as virtually all were overly-ripe, and many were already "puffy" with powdery brown interiors.

I'm looking forward to visiting a little earlier next year, hopefully as a Montana resident with that affordable hunting license and a shotgun in hand. I flushed 6 or 8 grouse every time that I walked a couple miles of that road this year. It gets little traffic as the the last 4-1/2 miles don't branch to access anything other than my property. Wild poultry and wild mushrooms seem the basis of a great meal!

willong

Reaction score
Also it's to bad you can't get them year round, most people will never have a chance to taste them. I brought some to 5 friends they all loved them.
Makes the seasons more memorable and gives one things to enter in their calendar squares and journals.

I've been missing out on most everything fun for a long time due to health, property and vehicle related concerns; but I always have many foraging objective to delineate the seasons. Any months not so blessed are candidates for backpacking, camping and exploring if I can just get caught up with the pressing priorities.

Most mushrooms are seasonal. As you get further into it, you'll find many that fruit in Spring that will likely suit your palate. It's great that you got an introduction to a species that you and friends enjoy.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I fondly remember those types of postcards! They were a staple of any establishment such as lodges and cafes that catered to tourists in the popular vacation spots.

On the long, dirt, Forest Service road that serves as the back driveway going into a different property, one in Montana that I bought last year, I found many puffballs when I visited this September. The biggest were only about baseball to softball size, but I think they are Giant puffballs, their size simply limited by habitat and weather. It was moot point, as virtually all were overly-ripe, and many were already "puffy" with powdery brown interiors.

I'm looking forward to visiting a little earlier next year, hopefully as a Montana resident with that affordable hunting license and a shotgun in hand. I flushed 6 or 8 grouse every time that I walked a couple miles of that road this year. It gets little traffic as the the last 4-1/2 miles don't branch to access anything other than my property. Wild poultry and wild mushrooms seem the basis of a great meal!
I have not figured out what makes them big, water, soil and heat probably, most likely a larger plant with more mycelium= big fruit.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

PanolaProbe

Reaction score
They look like they would be really good, witch probably means you're going to get really sick or really high.
I believe that this is known as the Hen of the Woods, a variant of the Maitake family. Very delicious to eat alongside savory and salty food groups.

relic rescuer

Reaction score
I was out deer hunting one year, and found 75 pounds of Chantrelles, which I found out later, is illegal... oops. (Limit is 25 pounds) The next year I went all over the place and only found like three small ones, not exactly enough for a meal, and then walking down the road past my property, I found two more larger ones, so that made it enough for a meal, but just for me. I had to laugh because they were on my property, after putting on so many miles trying to find them elsewhere...And haven't seen any since?

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I was out deer hunting one year, and found 75 pounds of Chantrelles, which I found out later, is illegal... oops. (Limit is 25 pounds) The next year I went all over the place and only found like three small ones, not exactly enough for a meal, and then walking down the road past my property, I found two more larger ones, so that made it enough for a meal, but just for me. I had to laugh because they were on my property, after putting on so many miles trying to find them elsewhere...And haven't seen any since?
That's why they call it mushroom hunting. Areas that produce seem to do sporadically. Lol!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
You have to know what kind of stump it is. Do not eat chicken of the woods off of any pine type tree.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Sorry about my erroneous comment. Chicken of the woods only grow on conifers so I was wrong. Learn something new everyday. Here is a link Willong sent me. This guy know his mushrooms.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster