Archaeologists catch looter !! haha please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score

I agree that the landowner is getting screwed because it is his site getting shut down. However, I believe the digger is not the one responsible for all the bad press from this story. If the landowner had caught him, he would have been told to leave or the police would have showed up and said fill the hole and leave.. It was the jealous, nosey ladies who blew the situation out of proportion. It was a torn up construction site for crying out loud! Any artifacts would have been lost if not for him.

I know, I know all diggers should always have permission even on construction sites. However, on these sites it is normally a waste of time, asking. I think it is fair to say a majority of dug bottles circulating on eBay ,bottle shows, auction sites were dug without permission from construction sites and wooded dumps. I know diggers that have dug more bottles than alot of the regular posters on this site that gave it up because of the “uptight†attitudes on construction sites. A lot of old time collectors got their start on these digs and no one thought nothing of it back then. This world needs more trial attorney’s I tell ya!

I dig most of my bottles in backyards with owner’s permission but if I pass a jobsite in my travels and the ground is torn up and time is of the essence, I will dig it. The history in some well groomed backyard of a nice house in a small town will be preserved indefinitely. The front end loaders will haul the “historical artifacts†to the dump in minutes, from the jobsite. This said I still respect the property and fill my holes and stay out of footers, clean gravel, etc..

Jim, you are right, most of us care more about the history of these artifacts than most of those bureaucrats. We also are more willing to publicly share our finds
Two locals sites to me have had their privies “carefully excavated†with backhoes by privately contracted archeologists. Of course they were paid with public monies to conduct these surveys. One site contained some of the oldest privies to be found in the city. They dug to 5 ft. with the backhoe and quit and wrote a little bit about how nothing was to be found. The privies bottomed out at around 20 ft. and had a lot of cool stuff including some unique local items. I would have done it for the tens of thousands they were paid but being the philanthropist I am I did it for free. On yet another site they hassled me and other diggers before work began for digging with owner’s permission. The landowners were loosing their homes to imminent domain so they were some of the easiest permissions ever. Of course many of these homes were the earliest homes left in the city. I even had some fool hassling me through eBay. After we were done digging almost every last one of these privies and the land was bought up. The city (which is one of the poorest in the state†paid $40,000 for archeologists to come in and dig a few of the 6 ft. deep privies with backhoes. I am hoping to see my Diet coke bottles in some museum somewhere. You see, A LOT of these types could give a damn about the artifacts of the common man but are just protecting their “government cheeseâ€. There are good ones out there and I truly respect what they do but have no patience for the overeducated morons.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
Let's think about this.. If the "looter" had permission from the land-owner, would there have been any problems? If the archeologists had complained, and he said he gave the guy permission, is there anything they could have done? Couldn't the landowner say:
"This is my land and if I want to allow someone to dig up an old privy, I have that right? Go find your own privy to dig up - I'm sure there're plenty more out there! If you want these clearly important artifacts, I'll give you his number and you can ask him what he wants for them. If you want the shards, I'll tell him to leave them for you."
Can this story be used to the digger's advantage to obtain permissions?

Kate

appliedlips

Reaction score
Kate, I am not sure on the Oregon law but I am not positive that it would be alright even with permission.Silly huh? These stories make landowners and developers scared "something" will be found on their site of importance that will shut there jobsite down.I like your point about being other sites to dig.Inner city lots are continuously getting torn up and developed, why aren't they all important to save?

caldigs

Reaction score
Have you guys seen the response to my articulated points on the article ? Look at what the pro-archaeologist side has said. Just about all they're done is said I'm stupid, they can't answer the questions. PLEASE, I urge you all to leave more comments/feedback on the article (takes a second to register to leave comments) !

I found this especially insulting : " 5) Your ignorance and unwillingness to ask the people the might have answers does not constitute a conspiracy. Also, this gem: "We privy diggers spread the knowledge gleaned from our excavations. Archaeologists do not.". Yeah, that's a lie. "

I guarantee the hundreds of home-owners I have educated has been FAR more productive than %90 of any archaeologists excavations in my area.

pyshodoodle

Reaction score
I started to read the comments, I really did. But I felt myself getting really really annoyed. [:mad:] I will try to read this and post a comment tomorrow. Can't deal with this kind of stress before bed, so I closed the page.
For those of you that do post comments, for the sake of all diggers, my suggestion would be to take the high road with your comments. The name-calling, archaeology bashing, anti-establishment rude comments will only hurt the cause.

kastoo

Reaction score
The whole thing is a crock. If that guy wasn't digging there, they would never have known and wouldn't have bothered. The construction dudes don't want anyone knowing about crap to dig because they don't want to have to slow or stop for the archie types or the gov. It would get destroyed. Lastly, I have heard those dig problems are common up there in the Northwest as they have buku rules about digging. He should have dug at night...oops did I say that.

MINNESOTA DIGGER

Reaction score
every construction site that i have ever been at that has SOIL contamination " privys ,wells ,trashpit , construction debris etc. " is hauled to the modern day mega landfill so fast you would never know it existed . just get inside a modern day landfill that takes " CONTAMINATED SOIL " and look at all the bottles there they cant get it to the landfill fast enough . if you happen to be the driver of the end dump truck and get out and take a look around you might find some bottles i know i have found them at the modern day landfill . what a joke these 2 witches are . WHO gave them the right to be in charge of someones waste . wheres the hardhat hi vis clothing steel toe boots safety glasses ? and lastly where is the common sense . common sense is more then just having TWO CENTS in your pocket

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Kate,  I am not sure on the Oregon law but I  am not positive that it would be alright even with permission.

I heard in another article that it is illegal to dig up anything older than 75 years old in Oregon without a permit. So anything older than 1938 is illegal to dig up without a permit. I guess just dig and don't get caught, or don't go to Oregon.

luckiest

Reaction score
I think that the idea of getting permission is great and I would always prefer to have the land owner's go-ahead, but at least where I live you would never dig again if that's how you decided to roll. You just wont get any permissions end of story.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie