At least one state gets it....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bostaurus

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. I don't think it infringes on your rights any more than they are infringed upon now. My husband had to have regular unannounced drug tests along with all the other military guys and gals....and to get around the ingenious devices folks have come up with to cheap on the pee test, someone had to watch you give your sample.
My son had to have a drug test this week as part of his application for a summer job at a local hardware store. Now my youngest did not have to take a test and she is working with babies... That seems a bit lopsided.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

I miss him too, Laur. He woulda prolly jumped all over this thread and made it interesting.. no, fascinating to the point of deletion.. [;)]
I'm perpetually broke, but I never got a govt handout and I'm proud of that. One time when I was around 20 years old, after quitting a really crappy job as a car salesman, I walked into the local employment agency. I was really desperate for dough, and kinda hoping they'd cut me a check then and there.. well, I ended up in a guys office, who was one two phones, one on each shoulder.. he looked up at me, hung up one phone, and asked me if I want to work.. I said yes.. (maybe the big DUH moment of my life??) ..he un-hammered the other phone and dialed: "Hey.. I have another one for you.." ..hung up and gave me directions to a cardboard box factory. I spent the next 2 months packing things in boxes for $10/hr.. back then it was good money, good enough to not require any other form of aid, at least. Are my views tainted with self determinism and personal responsibility? You bet your bottles they are.. but please don't hate me for it, I'm actually a compassionate SOB..

LOL, you're right about that! I was just discussing it with Joe and he said the same thing! A strong work ethic is admirable. That is something to be proud of in yourself, and others.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bostaurus

My son had to have a drug test this week as part of his application for a summer job at a local hardware store. Now my youngest did not have to take a test and she is working with babies... That seems a bit lopsided.

Yeah. I had to take one for a secretarial position, but not for a job working in an animal hospital. I guess they figured no one was interested in flea meds lol.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: PrivyCheese

Doing my best to stay away from anything political Why shouldnt people have to take a grug test to recieve it?

Lobey would say, "Then, do better, Son! I have no problems with grug tests, probably because I never heard of one!"

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I'm going to agree that something needs to be done. If an applicant gets a positive, they should immediately be offered a treatment option where successful completion - along with clean tests - and they are once again qualified. In other words, you have to earn the check by being drug free. Illegal drugs are causing a lot of serious problems. This is one way to give real world consequences to abusers. Otherwise the state is not only enabelling the drug abuse, it is actually directly supporting it.

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RedGinger

In honor of my friend, Lobey, I am going to say that is really stupid.  I can see the intent behind this with things like Crack or something.  So, you don't want the government to invade your privacy, or you do?  How about a drug test for gun owners.  Does that seem equal to you?  Some of those that require assistance would fail the test because they need medications.  And it is because of their health problems, that they need assistance.  Can't anyone find anything better to do? 

With so much unemployment, headed for a depression, and "alcohol sales thriving", I'm sure this idea will work splendidly. 

Now, I am going to go cry my eyes out, because Lobey is not here to fight on this one.

Laur, I agree with you, anyone who is taking a doctor prescribed medicine absolutly would not be affected by this. You have a prescription you get a pass. Of course that is not what I am talking about. It is illegal drugs they do not want tax payers dollars going to. It has been mentioned that this was a "goverment" hand out but in truth it is a tax payer handout.

Infringeing on someones rights? I am all for helping those who need it. I want every person who needs help get that help. I am happy to do my part. I work extremely hard to support my family. Today it was over a hundred degrees, Is it fair to me that I work so hard and some people get my money and spend it on illegal drugs? Why cant I expect my tax dollars be spent the way it was supposed to. Helping people who need it and who use the money correctly...is that to much for me to ask?

You bring up Lobes, ok....he was all for abortion....mentioned that we should have a drive up window and have all the abortions you want....I am against abortion...why should I have to pay for it....Before anyone goes balistic....I am not totally against abortion, there are some instances where abortion is appropriate....ie rape, incest ect. but there are people who are useing this as a birth control method....why should we have to pay for that? If you get prego the people involved should atleast have to pay for it.

As far as methdone programs....I am all for it. If someone is trying to help themselves....honestly. I am willing to help them. I know a young lady who has a child, she gets welfare, food stamps....help with her electric....and the govt. pays for her daycare. She DOSNT work! why should she. She gets more from the govt. (us) then if she worked...How is this right? BTW she drives a brand new car! I am 50 yrs old and have never owned a new car. Her rights would be violated if we ask her to take a drug test?

And someone explain to me why they call it a "independence card"? When the recipent is depending on us to go to work to pay for it. What people fail to realize is that its not the Govt. money .......its our money.

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: PrivyCheese

You bring up Lobes, ok....he was all for abortion....mentioned that we should have a drive up window and have all the abortions you want?

And someone explain to me why they call it a "independence card"? When the recipent is depending on us to go to work to pay for it. What people fail to realize is that its not the Govt. money .......its our money.

No, he most definitely was not. While he was not of the same belief as you, he was most definitely not pro-abortion. There are some who have worked, payed taxes and paid into the help they are getting. That's all I have to say. Not worth it.

rockbot

Reaction score
I don't know how we can identify or define what drugs are okay and not okay.

My oldest son will be a senior in college this fall and he told me that a lot of kids are taking adderall to improve their studying habits and ultimately get better test scores. He said this is becoming an epidemic. My son studies the old fashion way and has to compete with them.[:(]. What will these kids do when they enter the work force? Keep taking prescription drugs to function?

Is this the society that we want to creat?

Keep in mind these are students that are abusing the drug, not people diagnosed with ADHD.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)] A lot more than just welfare recipients should hafta take drug tests, drug use especially meth is really rampant in our country.All the drug takers should either be treated or sent to jail along with the sellers of the crap....Andy

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

I don't know how we can identify or define what drugs are okay and not okay.

My oldest son will be a senior in college this fall and he told me that a lot of kids are taking adderall to improve their studying habits and ultimately get better test scores. He said this is becoming an epidemic. My son studies the old fashion way and has to compete with them.[:(]. What will these kids do when they enter the work force? Keep taking prescription drugs to function?

Is this the society that we want to creat?

Keep in mind these are students that are abusing the drug, not people diagnosed with ADHD.

I remember kids doing that in college. They used to snort it. I would be like, what is wrong with you?! It scared me that they would do that. Good for your son, for staying away from that!

Also, the meth use is scary in its effects and the making of it. Buildings exploding, people going crazy and wasting away to nothing. It is definitely a problem we need to combat.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS