Authentic Black Glass ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

whiskeyman

Reaction score
I'm not too "UP" on American made black glass nor its foreign counterparts, but these three pieces seem "suspect" to me. Opinions anyone ??

ANTIQUE GLASS WINE FLASK RGL PELLET BROKEN PONTIL
s.gif
[/align] [/align]ANTIQUE AMBER & CLEAR GLASS BOTTLE WITH BROKEN PONTIL
s.gif
[/align] [/align]UNUSUAL ANTIQUE HONEY AMBER GLASS BOTTLE BROKEN PONTIL
s.gif
[/align]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
the last one resembles the Persian made saddle flasks but the mouth looks all "wrong" to me...and they're usually a teal green coloration...

The style of the other two seems "awkward" to me as well....

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The first looks like a Williamsburg type repro, the second seems to be decorative art glass, the last looks like one of those persian saddle flasks of 'underterminate age [;)]'
None fite by definition of black glass. i define black glass as looking darkly opaque unless held to a bright light source.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
A lot of collectors refer to the olive green glass in the early onions, porters , gins , and ect. as Black glass ! It is a reference that my Grandfather used also .... as do I . I really don't know if it is a correct terminology or not ..... but just about all collectors know what you are talking about when refering to " black glass ".
I have also seen ..... Black Amber glass refered to as black glass .

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Thanks GUNTHER & BRIAN...[/align] I rekkin' I call it "black glass" , as that's what most of the reference books call it: ( even though it's not "black" at all in many cases.)[/align] [/align]Glassmakers produced black glass bottles on this continent and in Europe from the mid 1600s up through the latter part of the 1900s. The term Black glass refers to glass usually in shades of dark green and amber. Often the glass is so dense that the color appears black. The dark color results from impurities in the glass batch, or as a result of the proportions of the ingredients used. The primary agent producing the color is iron oxide, although other substances can produce the effect as well. Not only do this oxide turn the glass dark green or amber, but it strengthens the glass as well. These two qualitities, strength and the dark color, meant less breakage for shippers and less spoilage of the contents due to exposure to light. The black glass bottles contained wine, beer, porter, ale, cider, or other liquids.[/align] [/align]http://www.bottlebooks.com/blglssin.htm[/align] [/align]http://www.antiquebottles.com/blackglass/[/align]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
The pieces I linked to are not "black glass" per se : in that they appear of recent vintage and are an attempt to mimic older glass. [/align]I am reminded of the so-called "boarding weapons"..."deck sweeper flagons" discussed here a few months ago that were also of recent albeit unknown origins.[/align]

cc6pack

Reaction score
Whiskey

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the last pic. I hope that guy doesn't see the auction he may tell the seller he has a rare piece. NOT [:D]

whiskeyman

Reaction score
CC....LOL. How ya been ? I'm still workin' 54 hours a week...[:mad:]

I ain't got time fer nuthin', and iffn I did - I'd be too tired ta do it...HA!

capsoda

Reaction score
Wow, Those are very cool pieces. I have a rare pontiled milk glass Noxima if anyone is interested.

Art glass.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
FAKES! FAKES! FAKES! That's all folks. Designed to fool the less than knowledgeable types. A hangman's tree is too good for that seller.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter