B.R. Lippincott soda?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Ben, I am not familiar with the term "Mug Base" but an iron pontil is actually a pontil SCAR left by a pontil rod coated with iron to help ease the seperation from the blown bottle. This rod is what the glassblower would hold and use to turn while the lip was being applied. Applied lip is just that. there are many different variations of applied lips, but they were all done after the blowpipe was removed and the bottle was blown. It is basically a blob of glass applied to the sheared lip and then molded to one lip style or another depending on what tool was used. I believe this type of lip molding started around 1840. hope this helps. Kelley

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi Ben, sorry about the curt answer last night. lol, Actually, I was going to get right back to you but I got knocked off locally for some reason. I see you received some information already, Irish is right, this site is great. Just so you're aware, you might want to be bit of a night owl, some of the most interesting bottles discussed here are presented by Irish, Oz, Kim and other folks from Australia. They're 12 hours ahead of us! Get yourself to the library or Borders and check out bottle collecting books. The web is filled with sites as well, just do a search on antique bottles. Although I personally think he's a little over-hyped, check out 'Digger Odells' site, he has many many articles as well as question and answer areas. Go to the members list here as well, you can send e-mails direct if you want, there's a wealth of experience, good humor and friendliness on the forum.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi Ben,
A mug base as you refer to is just that , it looks like a base on an old drinking beer mug . Here's an example. See it is many sided around the base , but the sides don't extend all the way up the sides of the bottle towards the top.
There is presently one of your bottles on the auction block on ebay right now. Here is a link if you'd like to check the auction out for your self and see what the bottle brings $$$ wise. Hope this helps , Brian http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3280417106&category=896

Hf99909.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99909.jpg
    Hf99909.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 96

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Brian, great work! I guess you couldn't ask for better service than that. lol That really is a sweet bottle!

glassman99

Reaction score
The Lipponcott soda was Stockton,CA. There were a lot of these dug during the 70's when the diggin was good. It has fluctuated in price form 50$ to 1,700$ but now is in the 400$+ range. I am also in Atlanta and collect Stockton bottles. Contact me if you want moreinfo on the soda.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hoho, Norm.... I wish that was true! In Lexington, I have just found 17 out of 17 dug privies and I'm heading out of town for good! Next winter I'll be showing you all of the bottles I've dug just to make you feel bad...lol!

John.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn