Ball Improved Quart , Quad Helix

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Hi : I recently found about 10 old jars I wanted to keep, in an old adandoned farm house north east of London , Ont. The basement was covered with bottles and mostly jars. Also had jars on shelves that still had old fruit in them. I will post a picture of the Ball jar but will post the other pictures later, but the question I have is one of the jars my son and I found is a beautiful amethyst quart Ball improved with the dropped "A" in Ball and a dropped "R" in improved and the jar has the quad helix.
The jar is mint and beautiful. Does anyone know the rarity and value ?
One of the nicer jars also was a Canadian quart STAR in clear ( ground mouth ). ( normal "R" in STAR )

Thanks

jaroadshow
London , Ont.

2F90047E2DE84F8EB76BC92ECAE0CC50.jpg

Attachments

• 2F90047E2DE84F8EB76BC92ECAE0CC50.jpg
    2F90047E2DE84F8EB76BC92ECAE0CC50.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 77

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Hi : I forgot to mention that the embossing on my Ball Improved jar is the thickest, highest embossing I have seen on any old bottle.

I don't know why this is but it adds to the beauty.

jaroadshow

dygger60

Reaction score
Very nice jar.....gotta love the sun colored glass...

I would not say it is rare, but, it is valued high amoung Ball Brother jar collectors or someone that specializes in the Ball Improved line....

with a nice matching glass insert and correct band, it is a keeper...it is a keeper now actually... it dates to the early years of the dropped "A" logo...right before or right after the turn of the century. Giving to how old the Improved line was at the date of logo change, pre 1900, I would feel safe in saying.

Worth, well that is a matter between buyer and seller. As is now, maybe $15 USD. But some would not go that high with the lid missing. But if it is in as good of shape as you mentioned...I would over look the missing lid and get it for later matching.

David

ajohn

Reaction score
Nice jar, I love that sun colored effect!
BUT... I in need of some schoolin. ( and not fer my spellin)
Quad helix????? what does that term refer to on this jar?? Thankx A.J.

dygger60

Reaction score
Back in the days...the helix refered to were lines used to align the two halfs of molds in the machine...some have a double helix and some have a quad (4) helix....they are usually found on the early machine made jars..such as the IMPROVED and the SURE SEAL lines...

I am in the process of moving, but about 15 or so years ago an article was written for the FJN,,,Fruit Jar Newsletter...when I am unpacked I will dig through my editions and find the article.....it was written by the late Dick Roller...great article...

David

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To all and anyone that can help. I would like to read about this reference regarding “Double and Quad Helix marksâ€. This is a new one for me.

I am familiar with Pins and Dowels, Tonge and Groove, and Dove Tail mold allignment configurations.

RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It was for me too Red. Here's a link.
http://balljarcollectorscommunitycenter.yuku.com/topic/730/What-is-a-QUAD-Helix-

I guess instead of a continuous thread it's either two of four separate threads on the same lip.

zecritr

Reaction score
cool info thx for the link :)
now
I would like to see the quad helix on this jar up top :) plz :)

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Those Ball folk deserve some kudo's. I would never have guessed it was for part of the machining if I saw one. I would have been looking for a matching lid.

jaroadshow

Reaction score
Hi : Can anyone show me a picture of the correct lid for this jar ?

Thanks

jaroadshow

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause