Barnie needs help again.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

barnie

Reaction score
I have recently found this bottle (picture supplied) at a carboot sale in Wales. Can anyone give me any info on the date, purpose, value etc. It is approx. 9" tall, 3" at the shoulder tapering to 2-1/2" at the base. Its color is a greenish, but almost amber. The rim is irregular and seems to have been applied. The bottle has ridges running vertically up all sides. (not deep ridges, almost as if they happened in the process of making the bottle rather than in the design.) I think I detect a small pontil mark on t he base, but it might just be a defect in the manufacture. Any help greatly appreciated.

Barnie

Sq45902.jpg

Attachments

• Sq45902.jpg
    Sq45902.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 98

barnie

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Diggerjeff. It has no embossing or markings as I can see. Anyone know how to date it without these.

Barnie

barnie

Reaction score
Photo of the bottom

Rp44710.jpg

Attachments

• Rp44710.jpg
    Rp44710.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 88

IRISH

Reaction score
Not many of the gin's with those lines down the sides have pontil marks, the top on that is called a "pig snout" here, the slightly older flare lip gins almost always have a pontil mark.
Your bottle probably dates around 1880 to 1900, nice bottles to dig but unfortunatly very common.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen