before 1900 medicines listing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I posted a listing of 19th century patent and proprietary medicine names sorted by state and city on my web site. For your entertainment. Maybe it will be of use to someone. I'd like to hear from anyone that wants to add medicine names from thier city. Note, pharmacy bottles are not really in the scope of this listing unless they are of pontil age, there are just too many of them.

http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/Cities/CitiesMain.htm

Hayes

Reaction score
I just checked out your site, its very well put together. I took a look at your NH listings and found a few bottles that I have (and were wondering about) I found a listing in one of my books (kovel, i think) they had Derry's hemlock oil co value listed for $25 but didnt specify bottle type and size, i have 5 or 6 hemlock bottles some tall and thin/or short and thin, one with some oil still in it and one in the shape of a medicine type bottle. I just wasnt sure what one the listing was for. I havent found very much RE this company, do you know any more info on it? Thanks for the link to your site, Im going to go look around some more.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There is one common HEMLOCK OIL CO. DERRY, N.H. It is aqua and about 6 inches tall.
The last one I saw had kind of an odd inverse tapered lip. That bottle had sold for about $10-15. I have not seen the other versions. I would assume they are more rare.

I found this general description of Hemlock Oil , I dont think it was anything taken orally...

"Hemlock oil and spruce oil are used for household
products, detergents, and soaps. Hemlock oil is not well
defined, since there are four hemlock species native to
North America, but true hemlock oil is obtained exclusively
from eastern hemlock."

Baldwin lists a Hemlock Oil Liniment from Essex VT. So there is a good chance yours was an external liniment too.

Hayes

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and reply. mine are all from derry,nh ( around my neck of the woods) they are also all clear. here's a quick pic to peek at if your interested. Thanks for the help.

By76611.jpg

botil

Reaction score
I've checked your medicine bottles list. Its a complete work.
Perhaps in Baltimore you could add this pontiled bottle. I don't know the company.
Embossed a tree and BALTIMORE.

Xv64817.jpg

botil

Reaction score
The top

Ec89405.jpg

Attachments

• Ec89405.jpg
    Ec89405.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 79

botil

Reaction score
The bottom

Jh15957.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15957.jpg
    Jh15957.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 75

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I dont think anyone knows who made that bottle. Even Chris has a question about it on his website...
http://www.geocities.com/baltbottles/collection/pages/meds.htm

Ye Olde Prospector

Reaction score
Hi Gunther and Botil,

Speaking of trees on bottles. I picked this one up years ago at an antique mall. Haven't been able to find out much about it. Might have some connection to your Baltimore bottle. One indented panel has tall tree with P B, 1780 1880, and TRADEMARK at the bottom. Could the P/B be for Peter's Baltimore ? The bottle is 6 in. tall but the round base is just nickle size, doesn't stand well at all. The other indented panel says DR.PETER'S OLEUM. I haven't seen this one in any of my books.

Wu61680.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61680.jpg
    Wu61680.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 87

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bdahlem