Best description of a pontil... contest?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
one type of snap case ...
snapcasebottle.jpg

j.dinets

Reaction score
Some early quatrefoil pontils can be very strange looking also

j.dinets

Reaction score
My understanding is that they were made by a pontil rodwith four narrow ends. There is a good diagram on page 29 at http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/doc . The reason I said they can be strange is that I dug one up in Charleston, S.C. that only had the 4 deep inividual depressions in the center with no outer scarring, and came out of a 1770 - 1800 privy. I read one source that said it was a way of taking away stress, and distortion from the outer wall of the bottle. The bottle I dug was a blackglass cylinder.

epackage

Reaction score
Here you go Red...

The iron pontil scar is the result of using a bare iron pontil rod with an appropriate shaped tip or head which was heated red hot and directly applied and fused to the base of the bottle to be held. There was no glass added (like the glass-tipped pontil rod) or remaining (like using the blowpipe for a pontil) on the iron tip of this type pontil rod. Like the other pontil rod types, this one was probably removed by sharply tapping the rod near the attachment point. The iron deposits which form the iron pontil mark are very small fragments or residue from the tip of the bare iron pontil rod itself. Evidence that the tip of the iron rod was patterned is sometimes seen in the mark left behind. Other iron pontil scars can show evidence of a rod with a four quadrant head, i.e. a quatrefoil, and many other shapes. These type rods were also used to form the push-up in the base of some bottles.

35DFE4CBB9FC4E0881972A8F7784FB37.jpg

Attachments

• 35DFE4CBB9FC4E0881972A8F7784FB37.jpg
    35DFE4CBB9FC4E0881972A8F7784FB37.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 95

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

Your link is NO GOOD...
This was not meant to be a negative comment, but as I read it someone might think it was, I was just pointing out the link didn't work....sorry

j.dinets

Reaction score
I didn't take it in a negative sense. I just thought RATS![:'(],(or words similar to that ). I tested this link so it should work . http://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/docs/2_EACG_pages%2021-81.pdf .I saw the quatrefoil pontil you listed, but the one I dug had 4 deep impressions next to each other with no metal residue at all, but again this was a circa 1800 privy at the latest.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Wow epackage, That is the type of information that is needed in a blog on specific glass making information for people to absorb with understanding. Thanks RED M.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28