Black glass grave yard

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cadburys

That dime looks like an S mintmark. And it looks like it is in very good condition too. It could be worth $35+

Nice finds!

Ant
can you take a close up of the front of Dime?? I need to see the liberty in the band.. I'm sure it is a ex fine coin..but can't be 100% sure until I see the liberty..if it is ex fine it is a 265.00 coin this would be for the S MINT..

tigue710

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: creeper71

ORIGINAL: cadburys

That dime looks like an S mintmark. And it looks like it is in very good condition too. It could be worth $35+

Nice finds!

Ant
can you take a close up of the front of Dime?? I need to see the liberty in the band.. I'm sure it is a ex fine coin..but can't be 100% sure until I see the liberty..if it is ex fine it is a 265.00 coin this would be for the  S MINT..

I dont know if I could get a pic of that, but its there and not worn... I was thinking it was a 200 dollar coin... It looks like its fresh from the mint...

tftfan

Reaction score
Real.... good stuff ! [:D][:D]

103577E3715C4D919CDF64671929C666.jpg

Attachments

• 103577E3715C4D919CDF64671929C666.jpg
    103577E3715C4D919CDF64671929C666.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 72

maxbitters

Reaction score
You’ll definitely know it when you see one, they look so out of place and like they were just dropped. Gold doesn’t oxidize/tarnish it will really stand out amongst mud, rust, ashes or whatever. They’re so easy to miss and can easily hide in the littlest clumps of dirt. [/align]
ORIGINAL: tigue710

I've been wondering what the little round yellow ones look like when you see them in a burnt layer or in sticky mud? Do they look yellow like they should? I thought for a little bit I had two gold coins today these Mexi 8's are so heavy..., and yellowish silver...

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Welcome back Lou,,it's been awhile since I've seen you on here..Have you dug anything great lately? You usually do [:D]

I wanted to post this for Matt regarding the 1897 dime.
In the coin world as well as bottles, condition is king.

Here are the latest prices for the 1897 S:

Conditon G4-$18 VG8-$32 F12-$92 VF20-$115 XF40-$160 AU50-$260 AU53-$ 305 AU55-$385 AU58-$480

I would imagine your coin could fall into the Veryfine (VF) to ExtraFine (XF) category...what do you other coin collectors think?

Nonetheless, coins and relics like the trading beads are just an added bonus to the bottles you find!
Doug

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Dabeel

Welcome back Lou,,it's been awhile since I've seen you on here..Have you dug anything great lately? You usually do [:D]

I wanted to post this for Matt regarding the 1897 dime.
In the coin world as well as bottles, condition is king.

Here are the latest prices for the 1897 S:

Conditon G4-$18 VG8-$32 F12-$92 VF20-$115 XF40-$160 AU50-$260 AU53-$ 305 AU55-$385 AU58-$480

I would imagine your coin could fall into the Veryfine (VF) to ExtraFine (XF) category...what do you other coin collectors think?

Nonetheless, coins and relics like the trading beads are just an added bonus to the bottles you find!
Doug
Your pricing is out dated..I got mine on the up to date pricing guide fair market value

CreekWalker

Reaction score
For cleaning those coins, either silver or brass, copper. Get a quart fruit jar with a screw on top, mix a pint of distilled water, a cup of white vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of clothing or dish detergent. Seal the top on the fruit jar, and shake until dissolved. Poured into a small pan that can be heated. This will etch some metal pans, so use an old clean pan. Pour a inch deep batch of the fomula, and place the coins in the solution, and soak for ten to fifteen minutes. Now have a small cup with pure distilled water ready. Remove the coins and clean with an old toothbrush or similar, a rough dish cloth will work too. If the appearance suits you, place in the cup of water for ten minutes min. If the coins still look rough or corruted (green). Place back in the pan, after heating to 120-130 degrees, do not boil, leave a couple of minutes. Watch the surface of the coins, the crud should lift off the coins in the mix. Brush or clean with the terry dish cloth. Repeat if not cleaned, then when clean, soak in the clean water 10 minutes. Dry off and air dry. Next day dip in olive or veg. oil, wipe off excess.This is a old, tried and true method, for old brass, silver or copper. Great finds!

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CreekWalker

For cleaning those coins, either silver or brass, copper. Get a quart fruit jar with a screw on top, mix a pint of distilled water, a cup of white vinegar, a teaspoon of salt, and a teaspoon of clothing or dish detergent. Seal the top on the fruit jar, and shake until dissolved. Poured into a small pan that can be heated. This will etch some metal pans, so use an old clean pan. Pour a inch deep batch of the fomula, and place the coins in the solution, and soak for ten to fifteen minutes. Now have a small cup with pure distilled water ready. Remove the coins and clean with an old toothbrush or similar, a rough dish cloth will work too. If the appearance suits you, place in the cup of water for ten minutes min. If the coins still look rough or corruted (green). Place back in the pan, after heating to 120-130 degrees, do not boil, leave a couple of minutes. Watch the surface of the coins, the crud should lift off the coins in the mix. Brush or clean with the terry dish cloth. Repeat if not cleaned, then when clean, soak in the clean water 10 minutes. Dry off and air dry. Next day dip in olive or veg. oil, wipe off excess.This is a old, tried and true method, for old brass, silver or copper. Great finds!
I do believe these was cast iron with a silver plate at one time... so your method isn't recommended

CreekWalker

Reaction score
Thanks, you are correct. I see now a member believes them to be early fakes of the 8 reales.

tigue710

Reaction score
I do not think they are fake, the one on the right is silver for sure, heavily worn, the one of the left on the other hand does seem to be rusty but its not magnetic...

Thanks for the cleaning tip creekwalker, I'll put it to use!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1