Blue pontiled ink found in NY

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I'd say it's prussian blue. I saw a wyeth dose cup at Keene that was the same color...Also Jeff and Holly Nordstrom had a similar if not identical ink for sale there marked MUCH higher...I cannot swear to it but I thought it was marked 450?...just not sure now...
Joe

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
sure joe. 450 is fair retail price that can be haggled. 300-500 would be an auction estimate. and that does not include ebay.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Good morning Joe. It's actually Noordsy and not Nordstrom. We do have a similar ink but ours is embossed "Harrison's Columbian Ink" and it is in fact much more expensive. I think that the $300 to $500 estimate folks have given for this ink is a fair one...

Jeff

stonebottle

Reaction score
Thanks for your replys and for verifying the value. The open area on the bottom I talked about does not go through the bottle, it is not a hole. It is really just a small area of glass that extends the pontil mark. When I get back up to NY we are going to look for the privy. This is far out in the countryside and will likely be hard to locate. But I know it is worth a try. By the way, my brother also found a shade of green "From The Laboratory of/G.W. Merchant/Lockport NY" hinge mold in the same area. It is also mint and he will not part with it for any price. I did not dig very much in the past, but I am really getting interested now. stonebottle

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
keep us posted!

kungfu...the unembossed variation is actually a little rarer than the similar looking "Harrison's Columbian Ink". but they are two different molds.

kungfufighter

Reaction score
I am not referring to the cylindrical "hockey puck" Harrison's but rather the rare sided one. You can see it here:

http://www.jeffnholantiquebottles.com/webpages/Item6965.html

kungfufighter

Reaction score
I should clarify and note that this MOLD is not rare in itself as there are many known aqua examples but only a handful or less in blue...

PhilaBottles

Reaction score
wait im confused are you talking about the harrisons or commenting on what i said about the unembossed on?

daah

kungfufighter

Reaction score
I am saying that the sided, unembossed blue ink is less common than the cylindrical Harrison's but not nearly as uncommon (or "rare") as the sided blue Harrison's. Simply making this point to explain to Joe why the blue sided ink he saw at Keene (which is in fact embossed "Harrison's") was priced much higher than the value you and others have correctly ascribed to the unembossed blue ink.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles