Bottle auction callbacks

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

I am with you Dale. there should be no call backs in any auction, snipe bids are bad enough to deal with.........Andy

I agree ANDY..I once thought I had it made on a pretty rare SARSAPARILLA BOTTLE ..mint..clear and from JACOB'S DRUG STORE from ATLANTA GA...where coca -cola was first sold..now this was back in the late 90's when we had money...I had it all the way up to 11:30 pm and it was to end at midnight..I kept calling and couldn't get through again [back when I think it was phone calls only] I wasn't very worried till the next day when I found out..I had been out bid by just 10 bucks ..best of me po memory...well that summer I went to the Atlanta bottle show and guess what I saw in a dealer's case?YEP THAT BOTTLE..wasn't sure if it was the same one that was sold at the auction.but the guy told me it was and then asked would I like to see it?Well no bad feeling's toward him at all...BUT I just couldn't stand looking at what I almost had!

AH THAT IS THE WAY IT GOES!!JAMIE

Doctor McMunn

Reaction score
I have lost many a bottle where I was high bidder at the specified end of the auction because I won't/don't do the callback thing. For one, I bid the top dollar amount I'm willing to, or can afford to spend. Secondly, I can't spend all day Tuesday on the phone in bidding wars on bottles when I'm supposed to be working (although bottles are much more fun). So, I agree it takes some of the enjoyment out of the auction process, but I understand the motive.

sandchip

Reaction score
I don't particularly like them, only because it usually will put something out of the reach of my financially short@ass arms. Tough, but that's my problem. But I see it is as a way of making an absentee auction, as closely as possible, mimic a live one, by weeding out the field with the deadline, then taking the remaining three top bidders, and finishing it off with call backs. It sorta combines a deadline auction like ebay with a live auction, where it's not over until there is one bidder left, and then and only then does the hammer drop. So in that sense, it's just as fair as a live auction. I doubt the bottle auction houses spend as much time making the calls, as Barrett-Jackson does holding that hammer in the air while the gals try to draw a few more bucks from the top bidders in the audience.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn