Bottle found while squirrel hunting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

snake oil

Reaction score
Last Saturday afternoon I was walking through the woods squirrel hunting and saw the neck of a bottle sticking out of the ground . The shape of the neck and lip told me it was old , I couldn't believe my luck ! I was near a marsh and the ground was soft , so I gently coaxed it out of the ground . What came out was a plain amber , strap sided flask , 7-5/8" inches high , 3-3/4" wide at the shoulders , 3-1/4 wide at the base with a rounded applied lip with one ring under it . The base has a mould seam running diagonally across it with a circular depression , 1-5/16" in diameter (not a pontil) in the center of the base , with a very lightly embossed (very hard to see) "8" in it's center . The bottle is in excellent condition , no major scratches , no cracks , chips , or dings , and the color is a beautiful deep amber . I know these flasks are not rare , but I like it and I have a few other flasks in my collection . All in all , it was a good day , it was also a good day for the huge squirrel (it must have been on steroids) I saw about 20 minutes later , it eluded the #5 shot from my 20 Ga. [:mad:] (I should have taken the 12 Ga. with me instead) . I would guess the bottle was made sometime around 1880 , and if I saw it for sale , I would buy it because of its condition and color , but I don't think I would pay much more than $10 for it . This was the first time I've ever found an old bottle while I was hunting .

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Nice story! I like to use a 22 and pretend I'm a sniper. Lets see a pic of that bottle?

snake oil

Reaction score
Thanks , Old Shoe , I prefer using a .22 also , pistol and rifle . Unfortunetly I was hunting on a small , state managed hunting area , where the only weapons allowed are bows and shotguns . I would have rather had my Ruger 10/22 or my Single Six , for sure . If I can get ahold of a digital camera , and can figure out how to post a pic , I will post a pic of the bottle , and some other bottles too . The flask is your average pint size strap sided amber flask , but it sure is pretty . Happy hunting , Old Shoe !

Maine Digger

Reaction score
I used to hunt squirrel many years ago as a lad in NY,[:)] Your story brought back fond memories, I once shot a nice gray with a 20ga Mosberg with variable choke; I inadvertainly had the choke completely closed, all that was left of the critter was a tuft of tail!![&:] I think a shotgun is a little too much fire power, but like you said, many areas don't allow rifles. Here in Maine, during the 'off season' for bottle digging, I use my privy probe as a spear when hunting squirrels, it gives them a fighting chance![8D]

DOLANBADGER

Reaction score
Hello Snake oil .
It seems to me, a great deal of bottle collector's are also into hunting.
I just found this great site, hope to send in some pictures soon. I've
been collecting bottles about 6 years mostly gingers,hunting game
around 25.Always wondered , how's squirrel taste , and would a 300
weatherby knock em down

grdigger35

Reaction score
Bullmoose, I believe your 300 might knock a squirrel down (see Maine Digger; choke closed). But you can see that the "real" sportsman uses a privy probe. You're hard to top Norm.

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hey Dale, go easy! Check out your 'store' on iOffer! That's me who bought that greeen coffee, now if you could find another Newburg NY bottle I might just share my secrets of privy probe hunting.[:D]

IRISH

Reaction score
G'day and welcome DOLANBADGER, it's good to see I'm not the only one here who thinks there is no such thing as overkill [:D] , a mate of mine says he is going to use his .300 Win mag on Foxes when he picks it up [8D] .

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Yeah the 300 weatherby is good enough to take out a squirrell. Man Norm I'd hate to be snooping for an old cellar hole on your property[;)]! Using the probe for a spear is some skill! And Dolobanger Squirrell is pretty good eating, except they kinda look like rats when theres no skin and fur left on em[:'(]. Usually cut em into quarters and bake them. Now I've got a city slicker wife who wont let me in the house with anything recently deceased [X(] unless it has a supermarket logo and price tag on it..[&o]
And snake oil if you get a camera check this page of the forum for help posting and uploading https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/forumid_28/tmode_1/smode_1/p_1/tt.htm

Have a good one!

snake oil

Reaction score
It's good to hear from you all . If I have to use a shotgun , I prefer a 12Ga. with a full choke , aim for the head and most of the shot will stay in the front quarter of the squirrel . I keep the range 10-30 yards . I was using my daughters 20 Ga. mod. , because I didn't have any #6 shells for my 12 Ga. . I only use a shot gun for squirrels when I have to , I very much prefer a .22 . About 4 years ago I shot a large red squirrel with my old Hi Standard .22 pistol , when I skinned it , I found 5 #6 shots in its shoulder , under the skin but not in the meat . My .22 had finished what someone else's shotgun had started , some time in the past . Thanks for the link oldshoe , I am still looking for a camera . I will post some pics of some of my other bottles , too . I have many different kinds of bottles but my primary intrest is in medicine and cure/remedy bottles . I get a kick out of some of the crazy names they came up with for some of that stuff . Happy hunting to you all , be it bottles or game ! [8D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4