Bottle Identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi Jason

I am definitely going to take some better pictures tomorrow and add them to the listing. It was too wet earlier to do it [:(]. Ive had a look on the internet and I found some bottle collectors websites here in the UK, but none where I could put my bottle on, which is a shame. I will keep looking though [:)]. Im going to weigh the bottle with a box and some packaging just to make sure that it will stay under 2kg before I add to my description about posting worldwide (if it goes over 2kg its loads - about £70.00 to post by datapost). Its a shame I cant change it from UK only to worldwide (due to the bid), but hopefully people will see it if I add it in the description and bid. I do sometimes get overseas bids on listings which were UK only anyway, [:D], so fingers crossed. I need to brush up on worldwide postal service then perhaps I'd be more confident about doing worldwide on all the items I list, just afraid that the further an item has to travel the more likely of it getting lost [:D].

Thanks for all your help, Sarah [:)]

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi, just a quick query on photographs for the listing - I'm able to take some today we've got sunshine [:)]. Is it better to take them outside in direct sunlight or in the shade? Many thanks, Sarah [:)]

p.s. I posted my query about this bottle on an ebay board, when I posted the one on here. I had a response this morning - they were wondering if it could be an old port bottle? Does anyone else think it could be a port bottle? Thanks again [:)]

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

With digital cameras I find I get the best results in bright shade. If your camera has a macro function, that helps too. On my Canon it's a little button with a flower symbol, this gets it to focus very close up.

I don't think it's a port bottle, the painted label looks to me like a pharmaceutical storage bottle.

I'm currently the high bidder, and I'm absolutely confident that I won't win. How's that for putting my money where my mouth is when it comes to appraisals? If I do win I've killed my ebay bottle fund for several months [:mad:]

Sean

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi Sean [:)]

Ive just been trying to take photos of this darn bottle without much success [:(]. Tried outdoors and indoors. This bottle is so reflective its driving me nuts. Gonna have one more go in the shade outside then I'll try and pick the best out of a bad bunch [:D]. One thing I noticed whilst holding it up to the sunshine was that it has had a little knock on the side, which I've never noticed before (its like five little lines coming from the same point - its nots very big but its still there). You cant see it in the house because it just looks black, but when you hold it up to the sun and the glass looks green/brown and you can see into the bottle its there. I wish I hadnt held it up the sun now. Do you think I should take the bottle off and relist it or add it to the listing?

I didnt realise you were the highest bidder [:D]. Dont worry I wouldnt make you buy it if you did end up the highest bidder (what with the little knock I've just found).

I'll pop the new piccies on after my last attempt.

Thanks again, Sarah [:)]

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi me again [:)]

Ive just been having another look at the little knock? It cant be felt on the outside at all. Do you think it was done when it was made as it seems to be inside the bottle?
Thanks Sarah[:)]

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Sarah,

Flaws like what you describe are called star fractures or sometimes spider cracks, and usually happen after manufacture due to something bumping the glass, often another bottle. Somethines they just occur spontaneously around an embedded potstone or other impurity, but it sounds like yours is from impact. They do affect value, although not as much on a bottle like this as on other newer bottles.

This one, for example, has a large lip chip:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7389040539

And still sold for over $500.

You do of course need to add this to the description though, and you might want to consider canceling the bids and relisting it worldwide. Given the star I would revise my estimate to £200-250, but that's still pretty good for a bottle.

No matter what it will do better than 99p [:)]

Sean

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi Sean,[:)]

If it was a knock from the outside wouldnt I be able to feel it? Its smooth on the outside. Theres no ridge or roughness there at all, I put my nail over it too and nothing there. Do you think that because the glass is so thick it hasnt come through all the way? But then if it was a knock on the outside then it would be on the outside. O dear, really confused. [:(] I think I will cancel it [:(]. Thanks, Sarah

O this is a piccy of it if you shine the light through the bottle

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/ebay4035.jpg

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Tabatha
If it was a knock from the outside wouldnt I be able to feel it?

Hi Sarah,

Not necessarily, in fact most cracks in glass are difficult to feel from the surface. Often they don't go all the way through the glass, and are just internal. An impact crack that was severe enough that you could feel it from the surface is very unlikely because the bottle would probably shatter.

That's a good picture of the star, when you relist you should include that. I still think this is a very valuable bottle, even with the damage. If you relist you should go worldwide with it. I would also consider finding an English black glass expert to ask about it before listing so that you can include as complete a description as possible. Everything I've told you is pure guesswork by a dimwit (with regard to black glass anyway; I can tell you way more than you want to know about the population genetics of midges, but this is admittedly a skill of distinctly limited usefullness [:)]).

Do post a link when you relist this bottle, I'm very interested in seeing what happens with it.

Sean

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi Sean,

Ive just cancelled the bids and taken the listing off. I emailed the other bidder too just to say sorry and that I had found the crack and wanted to do a new listing. Tempted to pop it up the attic in a corner behind loads of boxes [:D] . I will try and do something with the photos I have taken today and try and find some more info on it. I did email someone from a wine and black glass website earlier, but there isnt much here in the UK, let alone South West Wales (South Pembrokeshire) which is where I live. [:(]

I will let you know when I've re-listed the bottle (or if I relist [:D]).
Thanks for all your help, Sarah

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hiya, only me again [:)]

Just wanted to let you know that Ive just had a reply from one of the people I emailed earlier about the bottle. It was a wine and black glass person who has confirmed that this is a Pharmacy Bottle, she said they are quite hard to date because they stayed the same for a long period, but she said this one was reasonably early, probably before 1830. [:)] So, you were all right (and the two replies I had from a group on ebay were wrong - one said definitely not a chemist bottle!) [:D]

Thanks everyone you certainly know your onions, you've been great! [:)]

Ive just heard back from the first bidder on the bottle he has offered me £85.00 for it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau