Bottle Identification

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Tabatha

Reaction score
Im just trying to get the wording ready for my new listing, is this a big air bubble, there is another one like that except a bit smaller about 4cm away too. Would a big air bubble in black glass make it look a different colour? The one in the piccy is 2cm long. Thank you [:)]

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/Airbubblemethinks.jpg

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Tabatha
Ive just heard back from the first bidder on the bottle he has offered me £85.00 for it.

Hi Sarah,

It's up to you, but personally I would sell it at auction rather than taking the offer. Your pic does look like a large bubble, which will change the color since the light has to go through less glass.

If I were you I would re-list it on ebay worldwide and start the bidding at maybe £45. This will give the other bidder a chance to get his bid in, but if it is still worth £200 like I think then you won't get burned. You should list it in a couple of categories too, utilities and black glass for one, and maybe medical collectibles or something like that as well. Don't be fooled by the common Dutch onions that are everywhere; yours is a different animal entirely.

Best of luck,
Sean

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi Sean,

I said no to the offer from the other bidder. I told him I was going to list it again for the same start price [:D]. I had email back saying he would try bidding again [:)].

Ive being doing some research about where it came from now too. It was from an attic in a local chemist in my hometown many years ago. It had been a chemist for donkeys years. Ive been as far back as the 1851 census and there was a druggist there then. Its been quite an interesting day (except for finding my star [:(]).

Thanks Sean, Sarah [:)]

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi everyone [:)]

Had another helpful reply from my emailing frenzy yesterday:

Yes it is a pharmacy bottle. These were stored in the shop and contained various preparation to concoct drugs for dispensing. They were both practical items and to give an impressive appearance to shop interiors. If you can make a stab at determining the lettering in the gilt label I can probably tell you the drug or ingredient that was stored in it. (R. CINCH-----?)

It is perfectly possible it is an 1830s bottle but by that time many had a double collared lip and my guess is this is nearer 1800, possibly 1790. It is always difficult to be sure - they are basically big bubbles of glass. If I saw the pontil on another item of black glass, a wine bottle for instance, I would certainly be thinking ‘c1800’.

Cant believe how helpful people are, everyones been great, thank you [:)].

Tabatha

Reaction score
Hi [:)]

Ive just relisted the amended listing for the chemists bottle. Fingers crossed its not too awful. Had real trouble with the pictures (and description). If anyone can see anything wrong with it or any improvements I can make that would be great.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6260754072&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

Thanks, Sarah [:)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmajeau