Bottle Mysteries

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RED Matthews

Reaction score
In searching through a bottle box from storage I found some of my missing odd bottles.

There were two bottles with similar mold repair in different places. One near the shoulder and one is near the heal. Both of these bottles have Crown Cap finishes and both show signs of vertical seams that one would realize were formed by the seams of the neck ring.

One has the bottom embossed with “/ D W & Co. â€. It has a mold to bottom plate seam that is pulled in at least a ¼†from the bottle diameter and radiused to the contact surface with another ¼†of bottle curve that creates a very sharp edge base-to-table contact of two radiuses,

The other has a bottom plate seam pulled in about ¼†from the bottle diameter to the bottom plate match. Creating a ¼†flat table contact and the bottom has a 1/4†radiused recessed center with an embossed “/ 6 â€. Both bottles are heavy with thick glass with some waviness and bubbles.

In that same box I found a larger 10-1/2†clear glass straight neck bottle with a slightly tapered body that is no doubt foreign is origination, that was also an early ABM bottle because it has light seam lines on a straight finish that is about a sixteenth of an inch larger that the neck. It has a ring seal embossed circle on one shoulder and is embossed with vertical words “/ AMARO FELSINA †and “/ RAMAZZOTTI â€. Witch seams Italian to me.

An even bigger mystery to me is that there is what looks like a 13/16†off center pontil mark. But I am sure, that is a baffle seam in the blank mold assembly of an early machine, Where the swing of the parison inversion to the final mold, put the ring off center. A couple more bottle mysteries..

My point here is that I don’t have a mechanical enthusiasm for bottles that are ABM creations, except for the uniquely collectable types. So in my newbie recommendations I tend to stir collection toward the hand made glass. However the earliest ABM jars and some bottles do have some bottle mysteries that are fascinating and worthy of study.

Another interesting thing in the box was a glass insulator with a hole in the top, where rain would have rotted the threaded wood it was mounted on. It is a 3†BROOKFIELD with out a number.

It is still a great hobby. RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide