Braved the Evil Devil Heathen Weeds Poison Ivy & Oak

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stormysouth

Reaction score
Hi All!!

First I want to say, Privydigger I am sorry for your loss.

On a happier note. I have been out braving the evil, devil, heathen weeds (Poison Ivy & Oak). Have spent the last 3 weeks (as much as possible walking along the Ohio River at different locations from Leavenworth, IN to New Richmond, OH. Found a lot of mouthwatering shards but not much whole until we go to a little out of the was place near home between a chemical storage facility & a power plant. Then low and behold down a long, steep, scary, devil weed infested bank, I saw it, just a little twinkle from the nearly vertical 2nd layer bank. Can I get??? Is it whole??? I cut hand & toe holds in the bank and slowly make my way up to a good size tree root I can wedge my posterior on and try to scratch through the concrete like riverbank without tumbling down a 40 foot bank . Well I want to tell you all, if someone could of caught a video of all this, it would have been the AFV winner. Bear in mind, I’m forty, short, chubby, and have an artificial leg. Not the queen of Grace and Elegance!!! I am in heaven. Meanwhile my honey is asking me “What are you doing???? Have you lost your ever loving mind??? I gleefully reply “I found a whole one, no make that 4 whole ones!!!†He replies “You are going to kill yourself!†“Get down now!!!†I of course I feel like a naughty 4 year old at this point, not only am I finally getting to dig but I found something whole. A beautiful little Hires Household Extract. I know common. Not real old. But it was love at first sight. Ahhh… Finally in the dirt again. Found some type of food container a clear and an amber cork top ½ pint whiskey, slick. We hadn’t made it to the waters edge yet. My honey “With his hand on his hip†lecture me and points out the ledge I am digging under is covered with Poison Ivy and the roots I am cussing and pulling at are also Poison Ivy. He won… Down the bank I slide. Of course, I rip the seat of my britches out and get a stern lecture. But I am happy.

We continue on to the waters edge…It is a virtual rainbow of glass. I pick up the pretty pieces and put them on a board. Lots of pottery & crock pieces, too.

My honey yells to me, Come see. He found a whole Kilmer Swamp Root Kindey Liver & Bladder Cure. Lotsa bubbles and cool neck & lip. But it is time to go home. Cross your fingers for our next adventure.

8D5DE5CFCD95463D9DE4984E8C8BC460.jpg

Attachments

• 8D5DE5CFCD95463D9DE4984E8C8BC460.jpg
    8D5DE5CFCD95463D9DE4984E8C8BC460.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 35

stormysouth

Reaction score
Crier. It's a Joeseph Renn Jr. New Albany, IN. I have a lot of other examples but none like this.I will keep looking!!!!

1AB1FBA7250C46BE9D7A84EB59CC3716.jpg

Attachments

• 1AB1FBA7250C46BE9D7A84EB59CC3716.jpg
    1AB1FBA7250C46BE9D7A84EB59CC3716.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 52

buzzkutt033

Reaction score
love the story and the photos. thanx for sharing with us. i'm hoping that finding that Kilmer's planted the bottle bug in your significant other. best of luck on your return trip. just a matter of time till you find some more whole stuff.

Jim

here's a photo of last fridays dig

ADC70167AE5045DD89B3E955CB2D7CEC.jpg

Attachments

• ADC70167AE5045DD89B3E955CB2D7CEC.jpg
    ADC70167AE5045DD89B3E955CB2D7CEC.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 36

stormysouth

Reaction score
Thanks for the nice replies.

My honey doesn't mind me dragging him along. Better than the alternative...Me going to the big scary river alone. (Which I would.) He's too much of a gentleman to allow that. He loves being outdoors and is very patient. (Has to be to put up with me.) He lets me drag him all over the country side and smiles all the way. It gives us really awesome alone time, too. That is true love at it's finest!!!! He will even go to the library and research with me. He is my constant companion and best friend. We even work at the same place.

Wilkie

Reaction score
Wow, the perfect woman does exist! I find it unusual but commendable to hear about a woman who likes to dig (I'm not talking about gardening either). Every digger I know is a guy and usually the other half thinks the guy is nuts! My wife "kind" of supports my hobby, she doesn't mind the buying and selling but when it comes to going through old dumps or digging a privy, she thinks it's a little strange.

Nice pictures Lisa, I hope to see more. Hopefully you don't have a reaction to the poison ivy.

stormysouth

Reaction score
Thanks Wilkie. I am lucky to have a man that will dig with me. And the greatest part of all....He let's me have everything he digs. Talk about having your cake and eating it too without gaining weight!!! He's 6'3" and very fit. He doesn't mind helping carry what I find. He initially thought I was a little out there, but he loves me. He is from one of the largest and oldest families in the area and is really good at getting permission to dig from people.

At least your wife "kinda" supports your hobby. My ex hated it and tried to forbid it. Yeah right. One of the many reasons he is an ex.

I haved been a dumpling for about the last 35 years. The urge to crawl and scratch around in the dirt is uncontollable at times. I have gotten many whippins in my much younger years for sneaking off to the old farm dump and dragging "junk" home. (Too many bears to have a 5 year old out in the woods alone) He let's me drag him all over God's creation to sales, shops, and over the river and through the woods to the perfect dump we go. And when I get a whoppin dose of the devil weed, he honestly feels sorry for me. I think I have found a way to nuetrelize the evil stuff. Phels Nafta Soap. I may get a small rash now instead of my eyes swelling shut and huge blister that are 1/2 - 3/4 " tall.

Sorry to ramble on.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS