build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Hello,
(Im new to forums and this im my first post)

Im looking to build my own tumbler and I had a few questions.
I was wondering if you could use a clothes dryer motor?
Are clothes dryer motors thermally protected and/or variable speed? Rather than changing pulleys I would like to wire a plug to the motor and then plug it into a variable control like this
routercontrolbox.jpg

My only issue would be mounting. I was also considering maybe a treadmill motor.

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks
Travis

JUNKMAN1

Reaction score
Go for it its fun and will pick your brain I built one for a 60.00 bucks and about a week of scratching my head and I can turn 6 bottles at a time it works wonderful I will take some pics of it and post soon . And remember us your head the stuff u need is right under your nose and let your friends at work now what u are doing the will be glad toi donate parts they want to see if you can do it and it will save u a lot of money . I had two motors sitting in my truck one day and I already had the machine built . My rollers are roller blade wheels and they work great. Just do it man.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Im looking to build my own tumbler and I had a few questions.
I was wondering if you could use a clothes dryer motor?
Are clothes dryer motors thermally protected and/or variable speed? Rather than changing pulleys I would like to wire a plug to the motor and then plug it into a variable control like this
I commercial drier might be, check that the motor is for continuous duty. Otherwise you risk the possibility of overheating, tripping the breaker or fire. Some motors aren't meant to have less voltage than it states either so adding a variable control could cause the said above.

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
Have any of you do-it-yourselfers had any issue with your tubes wanting to 'walk" or spin off one end or the other?
You're all good leaving them run overnight for a week or two?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: MCglass

Have any of you do-it-yourselfers had any issue with your tubes wanting to 'walk" or spin off one end or the other?
How can the tube run off the end with the roller blocks?

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
Maybe not right off the end, but i could envision the tube possibly wanting to run to one end if things aren't lined up. That's why i was asking.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score

Yes , the tube can move to one end.
I just put a screw with a piece of copper tubing at the end of mine. It doesnt hurt anything if it rubs against it.
You pretty much have to run stuff over night to get it done.
I've never had to run it for two weeks.

Latest posts

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS