build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tombstone

Reaction score
last one

2D67297E08A04583B54FA1B96CC7356A.jpg

Attachments

• 2D67297E08A04583B54FA1B96CC7356A.jpg
    2D67297E08A04583B54FA1B96CC7356A.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 89

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Michael, Looks like you got a little of every kind of tumbler I've every kind of tumbler I have ever seen. Pertty cool.

Bottleman

Reaction score
I am just bringing this thread back to the top for new members to see. There is some great information and pictures on making your own tumbler, stopples and cutting your own copper. I found it tucked back 9 pages and the last reply was over a year ago.

~Tom

donalddarneille

Reaction score
Sure am glad you did! I am just getting started tumbling and this forum has the answere to most of my questions, even a few questions I didn't know I needed to ask yet! Thanks to all who have contributed!

dcoffin5

Reaction score
looks like some great info in the thread. I plan to tackle this project myself due to $ issues. Now I can hunt for bottles in the woods & 2 speed electric motors at yard sales!

daeldred

Reaction score
Does any one know about how much copper wire in length equals in pounds? I ask, because everyone refers to how much you need in pounds and I want to know how much length I would need to buy to attain the poundage that is required. I have been using glass beeds for a while and the work pretty good. But, I think I want to move to copper for the sake of time and electrical costs. It takes forever with glass beads and that equates to higher cost per bottle for tumbling. I try to save money, too, by running my machine only at full capacity.

daeldred

Reaction score
I think I answered my own question. This website gives a conversion from feet to pounds: http://www.arcorelectronics.com/uninsulatedwire/Bare_Copper_Wire.html

Staunton Dan

Reaction score
I've never measured the wire. I just bought a bunch of it when I could afford it and then started cutting. I probably have around 25 pounds cut now that I use for tumbling, but I still need more. You loose a little bit of copper each bottle that you tumble when you clean out the cannisters for emample so replenishing is required after a time. If you can get it, it's best to get bare wire because stripping coated wire is a pain. One suggestion is when you are digging to save all of the scrap copper and brass that you find. I turn that in at my local scrap yard and get good money for it, right now over $2.00 per pound. I can turn in 20 pounds or so in a 2-3 month period. It helps to pay for the good uncoated copper wire that I then cut.

daeldred

Reaction score
Staunton Dan,

How much copper in pounds (obviously it depends mostly on the length of the bottle) do you use for a 4" and 6" canisters? I did some calculations (assuming the canister half full with copper shot) and got 14lbs for my 6"x28" canister and 6.5lbs for my 4"x28" canister. What do you think?

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks