build my own tumbler

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stinger haut

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have been tumbling bottles since 1989 and I have learned a few things by just reading all the posts about making a tumbler.
I have had a bad back and anything that I can do to reduce back pain I do.
I didn't read of anyone who answered this post talk about their tumbler having an automatic reverse switch on thier motor. My bad back hurt so much when I had to turn the canisters around on my machine, I thought why not just make it so the motor can be reversed by a simple switch. So, I had a friend who did electrical work make it so that my motor will reverse its direction with a flip of a switch. It saves my back and I don't run the risk of dropping the canisters as much when you pick them up and turn them around.
I still have the same pillowblock bearing that I bought back in 1989 on my machine. They cost a lot of money then, but I think that I got my moneys worth out of them.
One more thing about if you use steel bars as your roller bar. Be sure that you buy COLD ROLLED STEEL, they are made a fraction of an inch smaller to easliy fit on your bearings. Otherwise, you could run into big problems trying to put on those bearings.
I also use different size pulleys to control my RPM's.
This forum is just great with the sharing of ideas, information and the pictures really help with showing just how something looks as well as how to make it. I am amazed at at how some of the machines were constructed and the materials that were used to make them.
Stinger

capsoda

Reaction score
All it takes is a little good old fasion enginuity. I built mine for 60 bucks.

Hey Pono,

Thanks for the switch idea. That will be the next mod to mine this week. The canisters can get kinda heavy when the old back bone is aching from the sudden stop I took while in the AF. Again, Thanks.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Warren,
Mahalo for the mahalo about the reverse switch on your tumbling machine. Its great relief for your back.
I firmly believe that reverse electrical switches were invented for old guys that came into contact with RPG's and sudden stops in the A.F.
Hunched over in da islands,
Stinger

stinger haut

Reaction score
Howsit Warren,
Hey, I was wondering if you have added a reverse switch onto your tumbling machince?
I should have mentioned this, but you know how old age has a way of making you forget. Anyway, I have actually have two switches on the tumbler. One is just the on /off switch and the other is the actual reverse switch. I have to turn off the machince first then I flip the reverse switch. Then you flip the machince back on.
There is a very small lose of RPM's when you reverse the machine. Its not enough to make any difference with your tumbling. You wouldn't even noticed if you weren't looking very hard for it.
It really saves your back and it makes it so easy because your not flipping those canisters around.
Stinger

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Pono, Not yet, soon but you did already mention it and it's a great idea. I jumped on it right away. My pains are lower back, hips and legs so I know how bad it can get even on a 4" tube. I take the pills the doc gave me when it gets bad enough. If I'm gona be in pain I might as well be happy about it. Ha. I figure on using a three way switch. I had to move my tumbler so I can install some cabnets at that work station so my tumbler will be out of commision for a while.

You guys got any straight sided Coke bottles there. Can't recall ever seein any. If so what would they run.

stinger haut

Reaction score
Warren, that is a good idea about the three way switch. Just make sure that the motor is stopped before activiating the next switch.
I have never collected cokes. What would be the best reference book on them? I had a chance to buy a bunch of hobble skirt and dark cokes with arrows on them.
Bad backs are so bothersome. My day is based around my backpain.
Stinger

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Pono, There really isn't one total guide on Cokes. I have Petretti's, one that has locals and one on Alabama Cokes. I have been trying to find a copy of Porters book but no luck yet. I use the inter net alot.

Know what you mean about planing your day around it.Can get to be a real pain in the ass some times.

tombstone

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my tumbler

EEEBA3E865D24595B3A3006AC5550846.jpg

Attachments

• EEEBA3E865D24595B3A3006AC5550846.jpg
    EEEBA3E865D24595B3A3006AC5550846.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 72

tombstone

Reaction score
motor is mounted underneath to allow more room up top for expansion.

62231D25209F4CAF8FC9C8E28F9B6C3E.jpg

Attachments

• 62231D25209F4CAF8FC9C8E28F9B6C3E.jpg
    62231D25209F4CAF8FC9C8E28F9B6C3E.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 79

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter