Carters cones

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
Everyone see this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Citron-W-Amber-swirls-Carters-Cone-Ink-1897-RARE-COLOR_W0QQitemZ270530976025QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3efce71919

I just dont get it? 400 bucks for this? A TOC bottle, You could get a pretty nice colored pontiled umbrella. Or a nice soda, Med for that much. Yes, even being a collctor of inks and recognizeing that this is an extremely rare color its getting ricdiculus. You know what they say...."Its only worth what someone will pay for it"

potstone

Reaction score
I was talking last night with a friend of mine about the same
thing. He just sold a citron colored cone for several hundred on ebay the other week. The prices on the cones for some reason
have taken off. There are some flask that I would buy with
that amount money.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
So I should put my cone in the exact same color with the Bixby "X" on the bottom on ebay then? I bought it for probably about $45 a few years ago to help color up a predominantly aqua ink collection. And I questioned my own sanity in spending that much on a fairly plain cone ink at the time.

Jeez, these numbers are CRAZY. For $450, I could probably pick up a fairly rare E Waters bottle...

Jim G

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
I am looking at the bottle on Ebay. The color almost looks like a built in-stain especially when the bottom of the bottle is shown...............looks too inconsistent and not colored throughout the entire bottle. To each his own I guess.

Oldihtractor

Reaction score
All it takes is a collector to decide he wants them all, and has no care in the worls what he pays for them.. Its kinda of like making your own market.. push the prices up.. to make it so only the people with $$$ can collect.. this happens is all collecting hobbies...

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
This bottle is the real McCoy....This dealer.....coloredinks has sold a bunch over the last month or so. Made a ton of money. I have not seen a few of the colors he has had. I wish I knew who he was. I think I might email him. He has had to be collecting along time.

I would love to have this one. Anyone know when they were made and whats the difference between the ones that have 1897....with and without MADE IN USA

saratogadriver

Reaction score
A few years back, coloredinks was buying everything in sight, and paying big $ to do so. I was underbidder on a number of occasions. He must have a h--l of a collection.

Jim G

ORIGINAL: baltodigger

This bottle is the real McCoy....This dealer.....coloredinks has sold a bunch over the last month or so. Made a ton of money. I have not seen a few of the colors he has had. I wish I knew who he was. I think I might email him. He has had to be collecting along time.

I would love to have this one. Anyone know when they were made and whats the difference between the ones that have 1897....with and without MADE IN USA

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
You want to check out this article on Carters inks. Very informative but somewhat dated. Gives a intrsting history of Carters ink company.

http://www.fohbc.com/PDF_Files/Ink_Sp2003.pdf

Bixby Bill

Reaction score
Hi Jim, if you do decide to part with that colored Bixby ink, I`d appreciate a shot at it. I have 2 colored ones, one`s a dark olive green unembossed but with a label, and a light amber one embossed on the base. These are the only two I knew of until you mentioned yours. Those colored cones on eBay are nice, but unless there is something that really makes it stand out from the crowd (like saying Bixby!) I can`t understand some of those prices. I could buy a nice Willington flask for those prices!

473EEDD7F8DD429296EDE932C0E27079.jpg

Attachments

• 473EEDD7F8DD429296EDE932C0E27079.jpg
    473EEDD7F8DD429296EDE932C0E27079.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 65

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member