Cheerwine from Asheville, NC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Lastly ... (For the time being) Where do the 1940s-1950s "Asheville, Tip Bottling Company" bottles fit into the equation? Tip is not listed in the directories, either. I'm beginning to think the Asheville directories are not 100% accurate and for some unknown reason do not include bottlers that should be there. ??? There's an Asheville, Tip bottle on eBay right now, but I'm not sure of the date. Check it out! http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHEVILLE-NC-TIP-ACL-SODA-BOTTLE-10-OZ-/281307863376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417f415950

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Again, consider the fact that they might have been outside the city limits. City directories in my area did not include businesses adjacent to but outside the city limits. Not sure if this holds true everywhere but I have found it very frustrating here.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Correction ... Here's the base of the Tip bottle where I just now noticed the LGW (Laurens Glass Works) mark. But I still can't tell what the first number is. The two numbers are the date. So it must be either 1935 - 1945 - 1955 ? LGW 5

Attachments

• 0eb40dc3246549bfab08cdd631c4ed6a.jpg
    0eb40dc3246549bfab08cdd631c4ed6a.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 07261322d84a491ab354c70ffccea55f.jpg
    07261322d84a491ab354c70ffccea55f.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 104
  • e6ae075c3bc7425499907e2961e3492e.jpg
    e6ae075c3bc7425499907e2961e3492e.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 93

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
MichaelFla said:
Again, consider the fact that they might have been outside the city limits. City directories in my area did not include businesses adjacent to but outside the city limits. Not sure if this holds true everywhere but I have found it very frustrating here.

Michael: Thanks for the reminder. It must be something like that because nothing else seems to make sense. I might contact the Buncombe County records department and see if they have anything. There's gotta be a record somewhere!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Instead of messing around with the Buncombe county records, I went straight to the source and sent the following message to the current Cheerwine headquarters located in Salisbury, North Carolina ... Can you please tell me who bottled Cheerwine in Asheville, N.C. in the 1950s? And especially in 1952? I have looked everywhere online, including old directories, but I cannot find a Cheerwine bottler located in Asheville in 1952, nor one located there anytime in the 1950s. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine has an older "panel-embossed" Cheerwine bottle that is marked Asheville, N.C. and that also has a 1952 date code, but we cannot figure out what bottler in Asheville or in Buncombe county that might have produced it. I am hoping your records might shed some light on this. Any assistance you can extend me in solving this mystery will be very much appreciated. Thank you, Bob Brown

morbious_fod

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
morbious_fod said:
But that gives us two desperate companies trying to stay in business, each of which fail to do so by 1953 which puts a 1952 Cheerwine right in the realm of possibility for both.

Could you please clarify which two companies you are referring to? Thanks

I told you both of them in the exact same post Soda. Asheville Beverage Company and the Orange Crush Bottling Company.

morbious_fod

Reaction score

morbious_fod

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
The following is a copy/pasted portion of a message that I just received in response to my email inquiry ... "Thank you for your recent inquiry and for your interest in the materials held in the Louis Round Wilson Special Collections Library at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Research and Instructional Services staff answer reference requests in the order in which they are received, and because of the volume of requests, the initial response may take up to fifteen business days (three weeks)." ~ * ~ So it looks as if I have no choice but to wait and hear from them and will post what they have to say once I receive it. In the meantime, I found this Cheerwine bottle cap that I believe is from the 1950s and has "Orange Crush Bottling" on it and is from Leaksville, N.C. I did a little research and discovered that the town name of "Leasksville" was changed to "Eden" in 1967. I also discovered that the Leaksville Orange Crush Bottling Company was in operation in 1952. My line of thinking is, if one North Carolina Orange Crush bottler was bottling Cheerwine in the 1950s that others, like the one in Asheville, also might have. ???
Anything is possible, but I'm sure that Cheerwine wasn't an exclusive to Orange Crush bottlers, but there certainly seems to be quite a few of them bottling Cheerwine.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Another Mystery!

I wonder why the Sun Crest Bottling Company of Asheville, who produced this 1951 2-Way bottle, does not appear in the 1948, 1950, 1951, or 1953 Asheville directories?

Possible Answer:
Because the previously posted bottler's listings are from the Business/Yellow Pages section of the directories, I suspect businesses had to pay extra in order to be listed there. It's possible that some bottlers either didn't want to pay the extra fee or possibly would have paid but missed the publishing deadline. However, I checked the white pages of the 1951 directory and the Sun Crest Bottling Company was not listed there, either. So I really don't know what to make of it!

I doubt it. If I believed the back of every bottle there would be a Hires Root Beer Bottling Company in Johnson City Tennessee when I know it was being bottled by Quality Orange Kist. There would be a Tru-Ade Bottling Company there as well even though Tru-Ade was being bottled by Dr. Pepper. Also pertaining to this inquiry, there would be a Cheerwine Bottling Company when I know that they were being bottled by the Double Cola Bottling Company, Orange Crush Bottling Company, and Tri-City Beverage respectively. The franchise got passed around as the companies went out business and sold.z 2 Way is a product of the National Nugrape Company, which also owned Sun Crest. I could have swore that in one of those annuals I looked through Nu-grape, thus related products, was being bottled by the local Dr. Pepper bottler.

morbious_fod

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Lastly ... (For the time being) Where do the 1940s-1950s "Asheville, Tip Bottling Company" bottles fit into the equation? Tip is not listed in the directories, either. I'm beginning to think the Asheville directories are not 100% accurate and for some unknown reason do not include bottlers that should be there. ??? There's an Asheville, Tip bottle on eBay right now, but I'm not sure of the date. Check it out! http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASHEVILLE-NC-TIP-ACL-SODA-BOTTLE-10-OZ-/281307863376?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417f415950

Most of the bottlers of Tip were Pepsi-Cola Bottling Companies, especially down in North Carolina. In fact when the Tip Corporation was sold to Pepsi-Cola in 1964 there were only 16 non-Pepsi bottlers bottling Mountain Dew.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday