Cisterns

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JohnRoy

Reaction score
I have a number of cisterns from an 1830s settlement that I want to dig/pump out. One is at the head of the spring as it comes out of the ground (like a resevoir), and the other one is just off of the stream, where it draws water from it via a trench. I have heard tale of another one closer to the railroad that supplied water for the depot, the post office, and 2 houses. The ones off of the creek have large iron lids; I have found one, but need to locate the other one. There may also be a fourth one that has since I have found a circular hole just off of the stream by a road that has been filled in with dirt (not completely), and now is muddy. This land is owned by a lady who has given me permission to hunt (formerly owned by a brick company). There are some holes I have just started out there where I have found some fragments near the top, but have not gotten to the bottom yet. There are a few depressions out there that I want to eventually check out, too. I know of one privy for sure that is by the railroad that has a pickup truch hood covering it that had dirt on top. We got the dirt off, but it was sort of wedged in there tight and we need to get by wrecker bar to pry it open with.

I am looking for someone to help me with the cisterns and the privy. The others will have to wait until after January because there are some hunters who like to poach out there, and I am not about to tell on them. I will coordinate with them about us digging/pumping out the cisterns. I would not have any problems digging out the privy by the railroad, though, since they don't hunt around there (too close to the road). The house by the railroad is from the 1830s, too.

Here is a photo of some fragments that I have dug up, among others. I have als found broken S.C. Dispensary, Augusta Brewing Company (intact but with a crack), and a coffin flask on the ground missnig the top. Also found a surface 1920s Pepsi. I believe that there is a lot more underground and in the cisterns. This is an area where affluent people lived during the 1830s-1900. The land was purchased by a brick company about 1902, and most of it has not been touched since.

I am in Augusta, GA.

-John

C733B95E933F4EC88D10063F1700B3FE.jpg

Attachments

• C733B95E933F4EC88D10063F1700B3FE.jpg
    C733B95E933F4EC88D10063F1700B3FE.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 67

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members