Clear Lady's Leg

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have dug plenty of "legs", both iron-pontilled and smooth base and ranging from yellow to deep amethyst. Many contained a product called "Boker's Bitters", as evidenced by the decomposing labels on them. When the label dries out it disintegrates, but readable when first exposed to the air.

ktbi

Reaction score
Laur, I really don't believe there was a purpose for the familiar Gin shape other than marketing. Same with modern day Coke, Tabasco, and others. We recognize them immediately by shape. I had heard that Kidney Gin was popular during prohibition as it was sold as a medicine when alcohol was illegal. I do have another Kidney Gin that predates prohibition though....Ron

ombudsman

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CALDIGR2

I have dug plenty of "legs", both iron-pontilled and smooth base and ranging from yellow to deep amethyst. Many contained a product called "Boker's Bitters", as evidenced by the decomposing labels on them. When the label dries out it disintegrates, but readable when first exposed to the air.

That just makes my mouth water. Dang ya! [sm=lol.gif]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
Ladies legs are pretty common out here; they must've been sent to the mines by the thousands. Just you wait 'til the Sierra snows melt in the Spring. More of 'em will come to light, for sure. I sell 'em as fast as they appear. Some are Eastern glass and come out "sick", but most are sparkling clean. This one, dug a couple months ago, needs some TLC to shine.
098-4.jpg

RedGinger

Reaction score
They're not as common in the East, or at least where we're located. I like the one pictured above as is. It has a nice patina.

Stardust

Reaction score
Well, that was interesting. I learn something new here all the time. [;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1