Cold water

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
This is my brother on an ice flow after diving today. He dove wet. VERY COLD! Fun to be out though.

Jg14340.jpg

Attachments

• Jg14340.jpg
    Jg14340.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 86

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Steven, How many days after that kind of dive is it before you can take a leak again. [sm=lol.gif]That looks auful cooooold.

It was 62 here today.[:)]

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Warren,

You get your prizes yet? Peeing isn't a problem the urge strikes teh second you step in! The problem is you have to sneeze to get a hold of your junk to control peeing for awhile after getting out. We had three out of four regulators free flow on us today. The tanks are so cold that ice builds up all over them and the inside of the regulator freezes from condensation. It was a beautiful sunny day here today. About 30 degrees... the tree huggers up hear call that global warming! If it wasn't for some unusually warm days this past week and kinetic energy the river would be frozen. Here is one more.

Steven

Om33842.jpg

Attachments

• Om33842.jpg
    Om33842.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 70

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
Oh man I really want to get certified to dive. [&o] Was the milk rare?

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Bryan,

I don't know on the milk. It was from Illinois. It's got a nice chunk out of the base anyway. I had two friends on shore so I was bringing up lots of stuff for them to see. the place we were at is a U.S. Fort dating to the 1840's. Some GREAT stuff has come out of that area. It's hit and miss. today we had gear trouble and there were giant chucks of ice that hitch on to your float line and pull you off where you are diving. The water is usually black but in the winter we have about a foot and a half of visibility. That's a huge help because the water is only four or five feet deep and the current is constantly pushing you. That makes it harder to search blind. I caught two carp. I swam up on them and they were to cold to move. It's fun.

Get certified you'll love it.

Steven

capsoda

Reaction score
Aint got it yet but I'm watchin. Ask my boy to go check the mail today and my wife told me to stop actin nuts. Tomorrow we got some holiday and since I don't work any more I think its crap that the mail wont run, according to my wife the mail wont run. I don't know for sure. That kind of thing happens after you retire.[:D]

Yeah That looks real fun, shrinkin your business till its drawn up under your chin and you squeak like a 12 year old girl when you talk.[&:] Tye a string to your johnny so you can pull it back out when you need it.

The tree hugers are wrong. I am old enough to remember the last time this happened. Went swiming on Dec 26 when I was 11. Three years gust like this one. Warm winters and stormy summers.[8|]

I will be getting recertified before summer.[:)]

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
I have not had the pleasure of diving in shallow water. Nor the experience of breakin' ice. Hail, I be still divin' wet, haven't wanted to go the expense of dry. I got a feelin' that it won't be long, though.

The little, local "creek" averages around 35', with many deeper places. Zilch on the viz most of the time, even in summer. We call it braille divin' with lights. 'Ya gotta hang at least 40 lbs to stay on the bottom, too. Set your compass and never pop up in the middle. Boats just might chew 'yer arse up if you do. I always crawl up the sides to the edge.

Here's a pic of what the little stream looks like now. In the summer, when the water is shallow, this place is 60'. It's adjacent to an Indian Mound and is a great artifact divin' spot. No diving now, she's a little on the testy side, and I don't have a death wish.

Xv64928.jpg

Attachments

• Xv64928.jpg
    Xv64928.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 74

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Steven...

You guys look pretty roasty toasty to me! That fresh water temp must be a bit colder than my salt water dives are...[&:] At least when I'm doing some commercial work, we use the hot water suits, but we can't swim around much in them, we're restricted by the umbilical.[>:]

Gonna go out tomorrow and get some work done... then hit a couple spots to check things out and see if anything new has turned up... I'm going to start bringing a small digital camera with me so I can take some pics of the dive area. I know what you mean about the free flowing... damn if that just don't frost my ....[&:] Hate when that happens.

Safe diving to you,

Wayne

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
CalDigr2...

Hey Michael, that looks more like a river than stream... sure must be awful dark down there in river mud at 35' The only thing the lights are good for is that "warm" feeling of security...

I use an EXO-26 and I mount Niterider "Headlights" right on top of the mask... man, that system is sweet. That's all I have used since 1986. Put this mask, the lights and an OTC wireless comm system together and you are good to go! With the "Headlights" mounted on top of my mask, I can put my face right down to the bottom,about three or four inches up.

Yeah, it's a bit pricey, but you can find some good deals on E-bay once in a while. The wirless comms can go up to 1200' to the tender and another diver depending on the water conditions.

I just convinced my bottle diving buddy to look into getting one so we can coordinate our underwater searches... This stuff is really great and it adds a whole new meaning to sharing the experience... makes you feel pretty good and secure underwater too.[;)]

Safe diving to you,

Wayne

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claudia1