Copper BB's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

embe

Reaction score
I tried it once...probably wouldn't attempt it again. I believe the copper is just a plating so they can still rust. I'll have to look into SS. Either way, a mechanical contraption of some sort will save you some aches and pains.

Old man digger

Reaction score
Crazy question but I have to ask. For basic cleaning the inside of bottles by hand will copper or Stainless steel BB's do any good? Be gentle! I don't have a 700 dollar tumbler! Thanks
I don't think you want to go that route. I tried that method, and the bottom of the bottle just blew completely off.
RobbyBobby had posted a way to do that using copper wires and a bottle with soapy water that seemed for him to do the trick. I just can't remember what he posted it under. I sure if you P.M. him he can send you in the right direction. OMD

Jstorm

Reaction score
I don't think you want to go that route. I tried that method, and the bottom of the bottle just blew completely off.
RobbyBobby had posted a way to do that using copper wires and a bottle with soapy water that seemed for him to do the trick. I just can't remember what he posted it under. I sure if you P.M. him he can send you in the right direction. OMD
Yes I saw on line a guy cut up some small pieces of solid wire. I tried it the generic way buy shaking. Here's my test bottle with using Dirtex some liquid polish. It was really bad but not cloudy.
20211215_154442.jpg

Jstorm

Reaction score
Thanks

Newtothiss

Reaction score
I've had luck with 3 ft of solid 12 Guage copper wire cut into small pieces (1/4" or less) with soapy water.

FYI- A makeshift tumbler can be easily made from an old printer..

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Crazy question but I have to ask. For basic cleaning the inside of bottles by hand will copper or Stainless steel BB's do any good? Be gentle! I don't have a 700 dollar tumbler! Thanks

I hear all the comments about why not to use bbs- but- they have worked for me for like 35 years, to get the big chunks out, pretty easily, especially when using soap and water, on a narrow necked old bottle? But then I’ve been known to do this! (In the past- well right now it’s spinning but I have a big tumbler from the jar dr in boxes out there - waiting for Christmas!)
815ffbeb4470e875e8b0480d74dea0dd.jpg

And if you rinse and dry the bbs with rubbing alcohol and a squirt of WD40, they can be reused, unrusted, U can swirl them around inside the bottle and that doesn’t bang them around inside your bottle. I keep hearing they scratch? That never happened to my bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jstorm

Reaction score
I hear all the comments about why not to use bbs- but- they have worked for me for like 35 years, to get the big chunks out, pretty easily, especially when using soap and water, on a narrow necked old bottle? But then I’ve been known to do this! (In the past- well right now it’s spinning but I have a big tumbler from the jar dr in boxes out there - waiting for Christmas!)
815ffbeb4470e875e8b0480d74dea0dd.jpg

And if you rinse and dry the bbs with rubbing alcohol and a squirt of WD40, they can be reused, unrusted, U can swirl them around inside the bottle and that doesn’t bang them around inside your bottle. I keep hearing they scratch? That never happened to my bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Excellent wildcat. Appreciate the info. It sure helps.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese