Davis Automatic Ink Stand

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

This is one of my favorite bottles. It's from the second big dig I ever did. I've spoken of it in the past, but never shown it.

large_trailer.jpg

So there I was, years ago, scoping out an urban renewal project in the early stages of landscape rearranging. I acquainted myself with the excavator, and to my delight was given the green light to "knock yourself out." The project was nearly a city block in scope. There was dirt everywhere, glittery shards, marbles, and some bottles right on the surface.

I was in old stuff heaven. I walked the site repeatedly and seemed to find new things with each circuit. The excavator Chuck was kind enough to run his D-9 all over the place and gouge out these swell cuts. He'd also assemble these lovely big dirt piles. Huge ones, big ones and in between ones. He was digging out some old basements and cellars. There were sandstone block mountains.

I didn't have a probe yet, nor had I ever heard of one. Where to dig? I spotted ash on some of those cuts Chuck had made. Yahtzee! I dug lots of stuff. Targets of opportunity. I tried to to decipher the patterns of shard scatterage in the wake of Caterpillar tracks. Is there any rhyme or reason to that? Found a perfect old string lipped champagne split nestled down beneath the the teeth of his tread. Untouched slick syndrome,staring me in the face, and I didn't even know it yet.

Chuck dug the deepest hole to date on this site. Big as a house, twenty five or thirty feet deep. He had bisected an old brick four foot sewer line. It was flowing clean water. Certainly looked clean. This was looking like an underground oasis.

Chuck had made the walls of this hole deeply perpendicular, at first, so there was no getting down there yet. I could only stand on the bank, and look down upon ashy layer after ashy layer. The deepest thickest layer was near the bottom. There was glass winking at me from the cuts of his big bucket. There was a whole bottle about 6 feet down the edge, just hanging in the ash. I had to go home and get my rake. Murray & Lanman Florida Water, perfect and this beautiful opalescent color.

I combed through the nearby piles that had once been in the hole. Bottles and shards everywhere. Druggists, slicks, Sozodonts, sodas, beers. I swept my foot over an amber shoulder sticking outta the dirt, Ely's Cream Balm. This was great but I had to get down in that hole.

Luckily, Chuck obliged the next day and created a dirt stairway to the bottom. I was trying to figure out the lay of the underground. There seemed to be stuff at nearly every elevation from about six feet deep, all the way to the bottom. There was a great ashy pile of debris on the opposite shore of the now backed up sewer line. I had a little lake! Paradise.

So many places to scratch around. I really didn't know what I was doing yet. I experimented with scratchers. Came up with a bent tine barbecue fork that worked great, I thought. Some of the ash layers were real fluffy. You could fork through some ash. I was paranoid of breaking these bottles that had been buried all these many years. Still am.

Chuck had thoughtfully knocked a tree trunk down the hole. and I now had a painless bridge to the far shore, and that ashy pile. It was so soupy at the bottom with that sewer running. T'would suck the boots right off yer feet, and it did. I came home covered in mud more than once. Quite the quagmire.

That ashy mound held many swell treasures. Early on I was puzzled where to throw the dirt. Hadn't even begun to think about screening. It never occurred to me to do so until much later. I was throwing dirt into the wet parts. this worked for a while. I built a little penninsula along one edge so I could access more of the ash vein.

What was this? It appeared to be a huge deep trash pit. I never found any evidence of wood or block walls, though there was lots of block and brick in Chuck's spoilage, and in the ash, dirt, and clay strata. This had been between the mansion and carriage house of quite the grand old dame of houses back in the day, I later learned.

While digging, and scratching up a storm, I wondered about the people and all these bottles and trinkets they had left behind. The musings one has at the bottom of a hole, were running wild for me. This was long before I discovered the internet as a tool for finding bottle information. I didn't have a clue as to many of the bottles. "What the heck was this thing," was lighting up in little thought balloons floating outta that hole nearly every day.

This place was between 2 major thoroughfares in the hood, and before it got all tore up, had many footpaths through the overgrown lots. There was a Burger King at the end of a cross street and a church. It didn't take long for some of the more adventurous citizens to start crisscrossing the site again. Only the most reckless would attempt a traverse in the rain or directly after.

I got the occasional visitor leaning over the edge and yelling down, "What the hail are ya doin down there? Digging for gold?" etc. You've all heard it.

**** I gotta go. Be back soon...****

kwalker

Reaction score
I sure love stories like these. This is something everyone would dream to have the ability to do; have an excavator do the hard work for you [:D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Kenneth,

Yes indeedy, ole Chuck is a great guy. I thank him for his kindnesses. He would say stuff like, "I saw some glass over there, made a pass with the blade down." He wasn't doing any recreational digging for me, but he was sure helpful and a super nice guy. He told me I didn't have to fill in any holes, while he was on the job. I've run into him only once since this project.

5176925760_efdb4de4d6.jpg

elizabeth-taylor1.jpg

surfaceone

Reaction score
Ah, the impedimenta of daily life...

I didn't know how good I had it in this hole. It was open for a long time, due to the fact that the sewer line that Chuck unearthed was not on any city map. Apparently this caused some kinda infarction within the city and water department. The job lay fallow for a long time. I had the place all to myself for the better part of two and a half seasons.

Well, not entirely to myself. There were those occasional visitors. I would find stuff, and assorted garbage airmailed into the hole by passersby. I was busy excavating next to the very bottle in question, when a rock came down in the ash a couple feet away. Then, a whole buncha rocks came down, followed by laughing and taunting from above. I had grabbed my shovel to shield/defend myself after the second or third rock, dashed across my bark bridge and charged up the other side. I was doing some pretty good yelling myself. At the backsides of 4 or 5 boys hightailing it through the weeds. Thank goodness they paid me only one other call.

Emry Davis made this dig stand out.
DSC00467.jpg

But I was fickle. I had discovered a couple other projects after finding this one, and would go over and play around on these other sites for a while. Should'a, would'a stayed put and dug that guy till I couldn't dig no more. But, no, there were greener dirtpiles... After a rain it would be too muddy to navigate for a day or two. I've got no photos of this dig, as it was long before I had a digital camera. Maybe before such cameras became available.

Anyway, after the boys pelted and ran, I went back to scratching with a bit too much intensity. I stuck that barbecue fork in there and in the course of the swing felt something, metal maybe, no... This Ink Stand thunked right outta the wall, at my knees. It was crusted in ash. Heavy. Metal capped. What the heck. I'd never seen anything like it.

I swished it around in my little lake. Saw that it was some sorta moulded glass and metal cap. Was that bronze? The bath in Lake Quag made it a bit cleaner, revealed that it appeared to be full. It had a very small hole at the top, some kinda writing and a design all around. I stuck it in my sack and dug til dusk.

Imagine my surprise when I washed it off at the tap later that night.

DSC00464.jpg
DSC00466.jpg

These photos are pretty close to life size, though they are not quite capturing the essence, or the heft.

I dug for another season and some in this great hole. There were many more finds, but none quite as sweet as this.

The landscapers on the adjoining property were trimming the evergreens that lined the fence and through all the limbs and trimmings down my hole. Then they threw a whole bunch more landscaping offal down. I think they were bringing it in from other jobs. I fought through it at first, but they were some dumpers. Besides, I had other holes to dig.

As I think back on this dig. I surely wish that I had spent more time there. I did some research after I learned about Sanborns. Visited the Historical Society. It was the home of an early industrialist with a large family and servants. A much better class of bottles, dont'cha know.

Chuck eventually came back and filled it all in, bladed it over. It still has not been "renewed" as that part of the project is still undeveloped. Maybe one day...

Here's hoping.
DSC00463.jpg

eyes88.jpg

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Nice find and pics[:D], ive got one of those ink stands, yours looks like its in better shape then mine tho.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Great story of your adventure, surf! Cool piece to remember that one by!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Great story and fantastic bottle Surface...Thanks for coming back and finishing your story,...I find myself with crystal clear hindsight on a few places I dug at years ago too,...If only I knew then what I know now.[8|] The giant brick sewer thing intrigues me,...flowing clear water, and no one knew it was there?...Our town is rumored to have a similar 'tunnel' type ancient sewer feature under our main st. Supposedly it could be accessed through a now restored notorious gangster hang out's basement. I've been in said hangout's basement,...didn't have a good flashlight to investigate. Thanks for a glimpse of your great find....any idea what made it "automatic"?

RedGinger

Reaction score
Neato! Which is more beautiful, the ink, or Elizabeth?? I guess I never realized how beautiful she was. But I digress, great story, SurfaceOne.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28