Davis Automatic Ink Stand

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: old.s.bottles
Nice find and pics[:D], ive got one of those ink stands, yours looks like its in better shape then mine tho.

Hey Anders,

I'd like to see it, please. I was so sure, I had the only one, too [8D], until I did some looking around. Did yours come out of that dig last season? I know I saw one on here somewhere, laying on the grass with some other guys. Thanks.

ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Thanks for a glimpse of your great find....any idea what made it "automatic"?

Joe,

I'm not exactly sure. I think it is my only bottle with the word "Automatic" on it. Also my only glass & brass example. I'm missing the funnel piece.

1889_DAVIS_AUTOMATIC_INK_STAND._EMRY_DAVIS_NEW_YORK.jpg
Kinda gives it a bit of a "My Favorite Martian" look, don'tcha think. I think it was supposed to work with both steel and fountain pens.

I have this strong feeling that it did not work well. When I found it, it was full of ink. The ink had dried into little blocks, like charcoal. I brought it home, cleaned it up a little, showed it to the bride. She said, "Mine!" and has had it in her cabinet ever since.

1896_Emry_David_Writing_Fluid_2.JPG
1896_Davis_Automatic_Ink_Stand_adx.JPG
From. There were several variants. Emry received several additional later patents for this one and others.

19271t.jpg
From, They seem to be under appreciated, except by me, from a "value" perspective.

They were in a list of Congressional stores for 1893.

1230410.JPG
"AN AMERICAN INKSTAND AND GLASS INKWELL
Late 19th century
Inscribed ’The Davis automatic inkstand pat. March 19th Oct 22nd 1889 Feb 14th 1893 New York’
7x7 cm
(minor chip)

200 - 150 412$. קסת עץ rosewood לדיו וכלי לספיגה, 1930 בקירוב. עיטורי פניניות בהיקף. זוג מיכלי זכוכ
Sold: $184" From. An extra fancy model.

Look at the footed rest on this one.

Perfarts$lola-montez-photograph.jpg

tigue710

Reaction score
Great story, excellent read. I have to wonder if it is a ravine or stream bed filled into to level the lot... They often built a sewer for the river to run through when they did fill em in back in the day. It sound much to deep to have been filled in by one family, more likely a dump... I know towns cris crossed with such dump fills as they leveled out the streets and lots. That ink is beautiful, and I actually dug one like the dome one pictured in the add. Don't remember if it was marked, but it was clear, and the insert in bad shape. I gave it to the person I was digging with... Again, really great read!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Kinda gives it a bit of a "My Favorite Martian" look, don'tcha think.

LoL,...Surface, I was thinking along the lines of of Marvin...[:D] Thanks,...and hopefully you'll grace us with more of your cool dig stories...I still remember the "John Wayne" security guard dig.[8|]

51AD452612BF4BA5A3F2CEEA98103F61.jpg

Attachments

• 51AD452612BF4BA5A3F2CEEA98103F61.jpg
    51AD452612BF4BA5A3F2CEEA98103F61.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 96

rockbot

Reaction score
Boy Surf that was good. Thanks for sharing. Brings back some good memories too!

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
I'll post pictures of mine later today...might put it up in the member forum auction cause I'll be honest, I havent even cleaned it since last summer[sm=rolleyes.gif]

http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/madpaddla/?action=view&current=MOV06959.mp4&mediafilter=videos

surfaceone

Reaction score
CJLMMWB.jpg

Thanks y'all,

I appreciate the good words. I gotta agree with Joe, in that, I've got a nearly newsreel memory of those first few digs. I was real fortunate to have blundered on some great old sites. I'm gonna have to revisit the boxes all those old bottles are stored in. I've gotta few souvenirs from those early daze still around here somewhere.

My first dig was a real treat. It was a combination trash pit, privies, and hill dump rolled into one freshly skinned riverside construction project. I drove up on this site one evening as the sun was setting. This hillside was just aglitter with 19th Century glass and pottery shards. I pulled over immediately. I knew what it was. Stuff everywhere. I've not found a site as good as either of these first few spots since then, but I'm still scouting...

Hard to beat the pure wonder and mystery of those first great finds whatever they are.

This one shows her eyes a bit.
Hollywood-Actress-Elizabeth-Taylor-died-23-March-2011.jpg
This one not so much.
elizabeth-taylor-5.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28